1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lowering without compromising hauling ability..

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Jonezee, Oct 26, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Jonezee

Jonezee New Member

Hey guys, I wanted to lower my truck while still being able to haul alot.
    No I don't really have the money for an air suspension system.
    I want to lower the front 2-3 inches and lower the rear a couple inches as well.
    First off, can I JUST buy lowering springs for the front and call it a day? Also are there any lowering leaf kits for the rear that won't hinder my hauling needs as well?
    And if not, is it possible to also slap on 2500 or 3500 leaf springs?

1988 Chevy C1500 350 Ref Can Long bed.

Thanks
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Lowering the truck wont completely compromise the towing it will just give the truck less space to sag as additional load is added. Adding bigger springs even tho it will decrease the amount the truck sags it will make the truck ride like poop when unloaded. A good option that many members have used as an alternative to air bags is Roadmaster Active Suspension. Here a link to their site: http://www.activesuspension.com/

They system helps you leafs handle normal loads and reduces the amount of sagging that happens while towing.
  3. Jonezee

Jonezee New Member

Oh ok thanks a lot man.
  4. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

You can add a couple leafs to the rear and Use longer leaf spring shackles. As long as you don't remove any leafs from your rear springs, your payload capacity will change little to none at all. As stated above, it just loses sag room. Big whoop there. Don't listen to the dumb arse yahoos that say lowered trucks can't tow as much as stock. Post pics when you've finished your drop bud!
  5. 95_5spd

95_5spd Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Lowered my s10 3 inches all around. I almost always haul stuff. And i tow a trailer that carries my walk behind commercial and a push mower. I haul my dirt bike around with no problem as well.

Yours should do just fine.
  6. Jonezee

Jonezee New Member

Ok and I will man, thanks