1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LS6 cam/head swap onto LM7 ?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by vms4evr, Mar 18, 2012.

1. vms4evr

vms4evr New Member

Didn't know if anyone had done this on here.

I've got an 06 Silverado 1500, Z71, w/5.3L. I also happen to own an 02 Z06 with LS6. The LS6 is getting the top end bumped up to help the car out since it is under powered ;-)

So we're pulling the heads, cam, pushrods, timing chain, oil pump out of the LS6 for the upgrade. That leaves those parts sitting around looking for a new home. I've got a good book on Gen III engines that says I can bolt all this directly onto any other Gen III engine. They show the 6.0 in the build case but reference a LS6 cam, headers, tune on a 5.3 and get good numbers. Seems all I need to do is have the heads milled to keep compression correct and change pushrods. Should be good for at least 40-50ft/lbs if I add some 1 5/8" long tubes and a CAI.

Anyone done one of these builds before?
  2. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member

Was looking at heads for my bro's vette, and the guy at texas speed said either the 5.3 or 6.0 heads would fit on his ls6. So yeah, as long as you mill the heads to get proper compression, and get the right pushrods, you should be ok. Also note though, that if you mill the heads, you may have to mill the intake as well to get it to line up properly, since your ports will be "lower" and closer together after the head mill. Still would probably be worth doing, or on the other side you could keep the ls6 heads stock and lose a little hp from lower compression, yet still probably come out ahead.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

not sure what it would take to do it, but if it can be done and you have the extra parts, upgrades are always good:great: