LSX conversion question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by K10LSX, Jan 4, 2011.

1. K10LSX

K10LSX New Member

Hi guys, this is my first post so bare with me. I own a 79 K-10 with a stock 350 which is currently blown up. Im looking to replace it with a Chevy LSX 5.3L or 6.0L. First question. will this bolt up to my existing Turbo 350 tranny? I believe it will. Second question is where do I get the motor mounts to install this into my application? Do they exist yet? Has anyone already done this? Someone on here must be able to lead me in the right direction. Thanks!!

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Im really not gonna be much help so hopefully others will chime in. only thing i could think that might be problems is dealing with the computer controls for the newer gen motors. as far as the mounting I have no idea. sorry.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. All the 6.0 conversions I've seen into your body style/year truck have 700r's or 4L60's. Try AdvanceAdapters for motor mounts.

4. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Electronics shouldn't be a prob as they have carb/dist kits for these. Are you planning on getting a crate or junk yard (used) engine? Do you want to go carb with it or fuel injected? How much work are you looking to do? :D

If you're running a carb on it, you'll need a carb intake, low psi fuel pump (electric), and an MSD 6010 ignition controller. There are probably other options but MSD is one of the best.

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/6010/10002/-1

Edelbrock also makes an intake/ignition kit:
    http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Ede...arbureted-Intake-Manifold-Kit/755239/10002/-1

Or there's the GM crate kits that come with everything as well.

If you want to go with injected, then look for a donor vehicle to get the electronics from.

5. K10LSX

K10LSX New Member

Thanks for the responses. I found a 5.3 and a 6.0 on eBay that are used from a junkyard. They come with everything...alternator, starter, computer and wiring harness. So all I am worried about is it mating up with my transmission and being able to get the correct engine mounts. Once its correctly mounted then the rest is fairly easy. Ive checked advanced adapters but it looks like id have to do some mods. Are there any other companies that are in the some line of work?