LT Headers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Chad513, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Chad513

Chad513 Rockstar 100 Posts

After my catalytic converter dilemma I decided to just go with some long tube pacesetter headers. Are pacesetters a pretty good brand? They only want 250 for them when other brands want around 600.

Also, if I installed them I would have to remove or move my cats wouldn't I? I was thinkin about to just taking them out because my city doesn't have emission testing. But I have heard that unless its tuned right that it would be bad because it would make my truck run way worse. Is there any only places that I can put a different program on my bullydog triple GT to make it so i can tune the cats out or would i have to get like a dyno tune? I heard those run about 500 bucks, which I'm not looking to spend right now. lol What else could I do to make my truck think my cats are running fine? I don't wanna have to buy one of those simulators because I don't wanna have to mess with my ecu.

Can someone please help me with some of my questions?
    please and thank you

-Chad

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Check out DynaTech headers. Better quality and fit than the Pacesetters.

3. McMahan

McMahan Rockstar 100 Posts

X2 I agree 100%

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Last time I checked Dynatech was waaaaay over $600.00, correct me If I am wrong though? I priced them last year for my 05' and they wanted $1,200 for headers alone, add the midpipe and your up to almost $2,000.....

If you do keep your catalytic convertors, you are going to have to do some serious relocating, and actually If you move them too far out of stock position you will still have problems. Just do what I did with my Firebird, run longtube headers wide open! No cats, no muffler, no turndowns

5. Chad513

i want to run it with no cats but im scared that i get pulled over and checked. its a 20,000 fine

6. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

No cats is a $20,000 fine?

7. Chad513

I read that in az having no cats is a 20,000 dollar fine.

8. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

WOW! Guess you should either keep them on or hollow them out to make it appear like they are installed.

9. BlackJack1500

BlackJack1500 Rockstar

Hey Chad513:

If you do get the Long Tube Pacetters just be careful on the primaries. Do you have the 4.8L? If so I think they are just too big. Maybe if you had the 5.3L it would be ok ,but I got a pair of headers that was similar to the pacesetters you have and I think I lost power. The headers I had were 1 3/4 inch primaries and I think they were just too big for my 4.8L cause bigger size equals less exhaust scavenging. Maybe 1 5/8 inch would be ok since the stock manifold has 1 1/2 inch primaries. Also I needed a custom tune because after I put the headers on my truck it ran real bad. And it was hard to fool the ECU without cats and a tune. It also had lost low end rpm torque and mpg! I eventually took the headers off and put the stock manifolds back on. After that it felt like a new truck! Haha! Plus long tube headers usually pushes the power in the upper rpm range. If you got the 4.8L your really gonna have to rev it! Maybe it would be worth it if you were gonna go with a big cam and some high flow heads afterwards but even if you do gain hp and torque you probably wont feel it. If you do go with the headers it would probably be better to spend money and not go cheap like I did. Maybe 1 3/4 primaries would be ok with a tune. Maybe I just got bad luck and had a bad experience since I bought cheap headers and I didn't get a custom tune. I hope all goes well.

Good Luck man.

1 person likes this.
  10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Blackjack1500 is 100% correct, bigger is not always better!

Anyone find any Dynatech headers for under $600 yet, I'm still looking??