1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LT metrics or P metrics w/XL load rating?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by bardofchrist, Mar 4, 2010.

1. bardofchrist

bardofchrist New Member

Hi, all. This is my first post in this forum.

I just got a 1999 GMC C1500 Suburban as the primary family vehicle, and love it! Until now we've had minivans. All I'll say about that is ***Chrysler stinks!***

The 'Burb needs some normal maintenance work, the most pressing being new tires. It rides terribly on the current set (rears are highly-worn Uniroyal Tigerpaw AWP's, fronts are Uniroyal Laredo's). The OE tire specs are P235-75-15XL.

In this tire size/rating, I can get a decent deal on a set of BF Goodrich T/A Tour's. Note that almost all my driving is on-road. Because it is P-metric, is comes with a treadwear rating (580AB) and 60,000 mile warranty from BFG. Only thing is, I don't like how this tire looks! Like the Michelin LTX M/S, seems to be a great tire, but boring.

My other tire consideration looks a million times better. It's a Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT. It's only available in an LT metric for the 'Burb. This tire gets better ratings for grip, but because it's LT-metric it doesn't have a treadwear rating or warranty. The P-metric version is rated 520AB. It has 13/32in tread depth, while the LT-metric has 16/32in. So I would expect to get more treadlife from the LT-metric.

My questions are:

1. Anyone have experience with either of these tires?

2. Is there any reason I should prefer the P...XL tire or the LT tire?

Thanks in advance!
    -Frank
  2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts

RVXTs are junk don't buy them, i would recommend the Goodyear silent armors they are avalible in the size and have a $40 mail in rebate right now should be able to make 50k easily on those
  3. bardofchrist

bardofchrist New Member

Z71 Guy, thanks for the reply. What you're saying about the RVXTs seems to be the general feeling about Dunlop in general. Not too much out there about the RVXT in particular though. Have you had experience with them?

Everything I've read about the Silent Armors is good...they're just $40 more per tire than the BFGs and the Dunlops.