Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lug # and pattern

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Conlan Rose, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, I have been trying to scour the web looking for my answers, but I got nothing. I'm trying to find the difference between using 5 lug and 6 lug in 1/2 ton trucks.
    Ok, here's what I kinda know:

Most GM 1/2 tons that are 4x4 use 6 lug and now most current 2wd use it as well. Traverse also had 6 lug. All GM 3/4 and 1 ton trucks use 8 lugs. The same pattern follows with GM vans.

Ford 1/2 tons use 5 lug even the Expedition which weighs as much as a Suburban. Some F-250's have 6 lug but most have 8 and all F-350s and Excursions have 8. For who knows what reason the E-series vans have 7 lugs and 8 lug on the heavy duty ones.

Dodge does the same as Ford except all 2500s and 3500 have 8 lug.(I think) The Durango (closest thing to a full size they have) is 5 lug. The Sprinter only was a 6 lug even in the 3500.

Toyota Tundra is 5 lug like the Ford and Dodge. Sequoia is also 5 lug and meant to compete with the Tahoe and Burban.

Nissan Titan, Frontier, Armada, and old Xterra are all 6 lug and the new NV van is 8 lug like larger GM vans.

So, question is what is the difference between 5 lug, 6 lug and etc. Does it improve towing capacity or axle strength? Is it about power? I really want to know.
  2. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I know i have always thought that the more lugs you have that means the heavyier the vehicle is and the more weight the wheels could take. Thats what i have thought the different lugs meant, like the 4 means it is very very light, 5 means it is somewhat light,6 means it is about 3500lbs at least, and 8 lug means that it is for towing 5th wheels and a heavy duty pickup.
  3. Conlan Rose

Based on that theory then the F-150 should never be able to tow anything close to what even Traverse can tow. This is just based on what each lug pattern should mean. My Tahoe is 6 lug(of course) and has a curb weight of 5400lb and GVWR of 6400. The new F-150 has about the same curb weight and GVWR as my Tahoe and about the same payload (that's really sad...) but is 5 lug.(using specs of reg cab both wheel bases) Also Silverado 1500, F-150, Tundra, Titan, and Ram 1500 all can do 5th wheel towing as well as conventional. Obviously 2500's and 3500's are better suited for it.
  4. 1953bowtieguy

First of what does GVWR stand for???

Second, it might just be how differnet companies make there wheels, some might make them a lil stronger, others might make them a lil weaker, but idk.
  5. Conlan Rose

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. It really isn't a difference in wheels I've seen stock Rams with 5 spoke chrome rims with minimal material and GM rims like mine which are solid as can be. Lug # affects weight class that's why small cars have 4 lug, medium vehicles have 5, trucks usually have 6, HD trucks have 8, and Medium duty big trucks and up have 10 usually.
  6. 1953bowtieguy

Well didnt you just solve your own question. isnt that the answer to why they have the diff lugs??
  7. Conlan Rose

It isn't an answer to why an F-150 have the same 5 lug as an Accord. While GM trucks have 6 lug which logic dictates is stronger. F-150 has a higher max towing that Silverado, but Silverado has heavier duty lugs and axles. Why? Why make a truck have lugs similar to a car and not like other trucks.

I understand the basics its the more advanced stuff like are their SAE requirements for weigh or can a 5 lug only handle a certain amount and can a 6 lug handle more. Also why the heck does the E-series vans have 7 lug and nothing else does.
  8. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The 97-03 light duty F250 which was later rebadged F150 GVW 7700 also used 7 lug.
  9. Conlan Rose

Yes, you are correct I forgot about those. But still only Ford uses 7 lug.
  10. barefoot greg

barefoot greg Rockstar 100 Posts

a buddy of mine has a 01 F350 RCLB which came originally with 7 lug hub caps on it, but when he came back the next day with new rims n tires it had open exposed lugs on it now and you can count 8 lugs on it.

I always thought this was odd but perhaps ford doesnt have a 7 lug theyre just covers on what are truely 8lug vehicles like in this case.