1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

* lug bolt patterns between old Fords and 'new" Chevys

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by MickeyB, Feb 9, 2009.

1. MickeyB

MickeyB New Member

Hi
    I am a new member here and the recent proud owner of a 2005 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab. 6.0L engine , 4WD, 4.10 gears .

My question is I have an old Ford F250 1985 with old rims . Does anyone know if old Ford F250 rims (16") will fit on the 2005 Silverado? They would make good snow rims if I could use them.

Apologies if there have posts on this previosuly.

Thanks!!
    Mickey B
  2. johnsstart

johnsstart New Member

Welcome to the site there are a few tire and rim guys here that may come along and help
  3. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  4. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! I could be wrong on this, but I think Ford has a 5-lug pattern and GM has a 6-lug pattern. I'm not sure if that differs between models or not.
  5. TMRuiz

TMRuiz New Member

Welcome to the site MickeyB. I hate to tell you this but they will NOT work. The F-250 lug patteren is an 8 lug system on 6.5" centers and your new Chevy is 6 lug on 5" centers. However you can order some adaptors to make them fit but then you have to deal with the spacers everytime you switch your wheels from one to the other. If you happen to find a spare set of 16" Chevy wheels be carefulbefore you shell any $$$$ on them. If the ones you find came off a truck with drums breaks there is a very good chance it will NOT fit over the disc breaks unless they are from the same year. Had plenty of fun finding all this stuff out the hard way. Good Luck to ya and let us know what you come up with.
  6. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts

welcome to the site
  7. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the forum! :great:
  8. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts

I have heard that some shops will drill out the lug holes (oversized if you will) to make a match.
  9. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts

Thanks for clearing up my ill-informed advice!
  10. MickeyB

MickeyB New Member

Chevy is a 3/4/ ton 2005 2500HD

Hi back to all of you. Very nice to be welcomed to a site. Makes an old guy feel good. I neglected to mention that the Chevy truck is a 3/4 ton (2500HD) and has an 8 lug pattern. I was cruising thru the internet on this subject and I thought that old Ford 250's (like the one I have- 1985) and the chevy's made the same 8 lug wheels until Ford went to the Super Duty in 99. Then they went metric. So from my research, it seems the old Ford wheels will fit over the Chevy but not vice versa as the hubs are bigger on the Ford.

I believe they need to be 6.5 " from center of lug to center of lug across.

I guees I'll have to shovel my way out to my old barn and get the wheels and see. I appreciate all the advice. I think I am going to like this place.

Thanks again.

Michael:great: