Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Lug nut torque question

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Chaser1, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Chaser1

Chaser1 Rockstar

I have a set of amerinan eagle wheels On my silverado (R16) and was wondering if any one knows If the torque on the lug nuts is different from stock wheels, stock require 110-140 lbs...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have always torqued wheels at the 80-90 lbs even when i had American racing rims.

3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i do 120 on trucks and 100 on cars

4. blackburb

blackburb Rockstar 100 Posts

80 to 90 on aluminum rims - retorque after 50 miles or so.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The torque spec has nothing to do with the rim. The torque value is just a way of measuring how far the lug is stretched. It is based on the size of the lug, and grade of steel. All these trucks - IFS and later trucks with 14MM x 1.5 studs should be 140 ft/lbs if the fastener is dry. I use a little bit of Fluid Film on my lugs/nuts, and go to 125 ft/lbs.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  6. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I do 150 foot-pounds on my truck and trailer. Never had a problem.

7. Chaser1

Chaser1 Rockstar

Thanks guys!!!!!

8. blackburb

blackburb Rockstar 100 Posts

Then why do all aluminum rims tell you to retorque? It's because aluminum is much softer than steel and actually "squishes" under the lugnut. That's why you don't torque them as much. Look in the instructions that come with any set of aluminum wheels.