lugnuts breaking

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by TWODOGS, Dec 31, 2009.

1. TWODOGS

TWODOGS Member

when i up sized my tires and rims to 18" with a alum rim with spline drive lugnuts and these are only hand torqued on . my front studs started to break after a bit of driving .ive noticed some rust where they are breaking ,when i put my stock size rims with snows on there is no problem .any ideas?.ive known others that at every rim change they replace all there studs but that just seem crazy .never had this issue with my 1 tons just my 3/4 ton

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Are you using the correct lugnuts for the rims and are they the correct wheels for the truck?
    I dont remember if yours are Lug centric or Hub centric, even though wheels have the same bolt pattern and fit not all wheels are created equal.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

We had a problem with breaking lug nuts and discovered it was the cheap made in china lugs. They would gull even when tighted with torque wrenchs. We started installing McGard lug nuts that are made in the USA and no problems. I have McGards on my Suburban with over 170,000 miles, Silverado with over 80,000miles and wifes Trailblazer with over 64,000 miles and never a broken stud. We rotate our tires ever 3,000-4,000 miles so the lugs get a work out.

4. TWODOGS

TWODOGS Member

caption should read STUDS are breaking not lugnuts my mistake

5. tbplus10

Is the mounting flange on your aluminium wheels wider than the previous wheels?
    This could add more stress to the studs if the flange is wider.

6. TWODOGS

TWODOGS Member

that could be the issue as no problem with stock only with the amercan racing rims .we thought the offset but there is very little .i was thinking stroger studs is there such a thing out there

7. tbplus10

You couldnt use thicker studs without redrilling the stud holes.
    Redrilling would have to be done on a drill press with the hubs removed from the truck, then you'd need to redrill the wheels. A lot of work.
    Probably cheaper in the end to find a set of steel wheels for winter use.