Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Made Myself a Speaker Box

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ippielb, Jul 15, 2009.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

No not a sub box. Just a plain old 6"x9" speaker box!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the top is Plexiglas bent over the edge.

[​IMG]

Going to put some neon inside to light up the speakers. And it's going to be one of the neon's that light up to when ever there's bass in the music. So, it's going to hopefully be cool.

2. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

thats pretty sweet... :) good work

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Nice looking speaker box, where are you going to put that in your truck? I like the neon idea actually, I would go with some LED's instead they would be way brighter. I was at Autozone last week and I saw a 7 color LED light bar which pulsed to the music for $40, they come in various lengths from 12" all the way up to 36". They are cigarette lighter adapter, or they can be hard wired into a 12 volt source. Can't wait to see the finished product, keep up the great work! :happy:

4. ippielb

My truck has the flip up middle seat in the front. So, where the persons feet would go if they sat there, that's where the speaker box is going to go. My girlfriends not going to be happy! HAHA I've never done any speaker wiring before, so It's going to be quite challenging to try and get this to work properly. I have not clue where to start. Where to hook any wires at all..

5. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

looks great

6. EvilNetwork

EvilNetwork Rockstar

Make sure to put some kind of sealed divider in there. You do not want opposing speakers sitting in there like that. If you do, when you turn up the volume you're going to be in a push pull situation and you'll beat the snot out of the cones. Not to mention it will most likely sound terrible. But if you have a sealed divider there, you'll get good sound and a little thump from the bass.

7. kgibson181

kgibson181 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

nice work. what kind of wood did you use my friend used a really cheap and crappy plywood but covered his with material to hide the poor quality.

8. ippielb

Oh, I did not know that, I'm not one to blast the speakers, so will it matter if i have the volume low? I just want to sound good, not to sound loud. What if i port the box? Will that help?

9. EvilNetwork

EvilNetwork Rockstar

It doesn't take much volume to start throwing air around. Since your Plexiglass isn't sealed perfectly to the angle, you could try it like that first and see if it works ok as the open area between it and the box will act like a port. However, I'll bet my wooden nickle you'll need to put a sealed divider in.

--Joe

10. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

you could always re-do it to fit the plexi glass or go buy some and cut to fit i can show you the blade to buy for a skill saw if you want to go that way AND i saw this in trucken the other day this dude put mirrors in his sub boxes to apear like there way more maybe you could do that with your divider i dunno but i think it would be sick as hell