Magical Grinding Noise And No Movie!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by kickercompkid_99, Oct 7, 2007.

1. kickercompkid_99

kickercompkid_99 New Member

Ok, so I have a 01 silverado, a couple of weeks ago I'm leaving work heading for home, just as soon as I hit the highway, I hear a god awful grinding noise, and I'm pressing the gas and not moving. So long story short I somehow got it off the road and had it towed it home. At home as soon as I put it in gear the grinding noise returns, so I crawl under it and have the old lady put it in drive, to me it sounds like it's coming from the transfer case. So I pull the thing out take it all apart down to little pieces, and cannot find anything wrong with it, no spun bearings, no stripped gears, input shaft splines look great on both ends... Put it all back in and viola it works fine! So I go to take it for a test drive down the street and as soon as I stop and go to take off again, the grinding noise returns, I'm not moving anymore and I have to walk back up the street and drag the damn thing home again!! What the heck can the problem be?? The part that really gets me is that when it breaks it doesn't matter what range the transfer case is in, I'm not going anywhere. I'm almost certain it's not the transmission because when it does work without the grinding noise I have tons of power, and I've ruined my fair share of automatic transmissions and have never ever heard grinding come from them! But it seems like when it starts grinding if I cycle through the ranges on the transfer case it will fix itself. From the times I've done it, all I did was shift the transfer case into neutral and then back into 2wd. The only thing I can even remotely come up with is that maybe the motor for shifting through the ranges isn't quite shifting completely in between each range, and the transfer case is getting hung up between two ranges. Or maybe the torque converter is broken somehow and it catches sometimes and works fine and other times it's just spinning. I'm totally lost on what the problem could be, and I can't really afford to take it in to have someone else tell me what's wrong with it. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions???? PLEASE HELP!!

2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Auto Tranies don’t have gears, they have clutches. So chances that it is the trany are slim.

First are you running it in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement? that’s a no no to begin with.

Is it possible it is the rear end?

Is the rear driveshaft turning when the noise is heard?

It may be in the transfer because you get it to work when you shift it in and out of 4 wheel drive but then I am not there.

It could also be in the axels.

Any more info?

3. kickercompkid_99

Not running it in in 4wd on dry pavement, and i really don't think it's the rearend because when i breaks and I try to get the thing to move at all it doesn't matter if I am in 2wd or 4 it just plain won't go. The only time I ever use 4wd is in the snow and ice and pulling out logs to cut up for firewood, which is what I was doing shortly before it started doing this and it's not really a grinding noise more of like 2 gears not meshing together almost like the transfer case is stuck in between 2 ranges. At one point it wasn't making the noise but still wouldn't move, but if I feathered the throttle it was almost like when I first tapped the gas it would catch something and move, not fast by any means felt almost like it would if the tranny was slipping.... I'm still baffled

4. 84fiero123

Pull the dipstick on the trany, if it smells like burnt almonds the trany is toast.

Sounds more like the transfer is getting caught between ranges.

I’m really not the one to answer questions about that.

Hopefully someone will pipe in that is more familiar with the newer transfer cases.

The only one I have ever had apart was the one in my old yard plow, 79 GMC with fulltime 4 wheel drive. I swear the thing weights more than the engine.

But this will give you a free bump to someone who has more knowledge about your transfer case.

5. kickercompkid_99

That is the first thing that I did to the truck when it broke, hell I even pulled the pan looking for big chunks in there but there was nothing, fluid looked old but didn't smell burnt at all. So I changed the filter and put fresh fluid in it. And of course that did nothing. But I thank you for the ideas, I too am hoping someone will pipe in!!

6. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It must be the transfer case that's the only thing with gears.:neutral:

7. 84fiero123

Transfer case has got to be it then.

Maybe in between gears, again I am not familiar with the newer ones so I am hoping someone who is can give you some light on this problem, I do have to go to the garage first thing this morning and will get my manual and see if there is any info on the newer transfers.

8. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

does by any chance your truck only feel like its grinding from one side, i had a ram come in the other day, complaining that sometimes, it felt like the brakes were being applied but only to one wheel... and he use to hear grinding noises as well, but he thought since hes had the issue for so long, he grinded whatever was grinded down because it wouldnt make the grinding noise nemore, so we pulled everything off, everything, couldnt find the problem, in the end, it was a wheel bearing, the bearings were so gone that they were turning sideways, (cylinder type bearings not round) and as he was driving they would grind up untill he grinded each one except one down to barely anything.

9. kickercompkid_99

It's definitely not grinding only on one side, it's straight in the middle of the truck. It's not really even a grinding noise, more like gears not meshing together. Almost like when you would shift the transfer case to neutral with the motor running and put the truck in gear, to me it sounds almost exactly like that. Like I said before what gets me is that I have pulled the transfer case and took it completely apart and don't see anything wrong with it at all. Which leads me to believe that maybe the motor for the shifter is screwy and maybe when it's bolted onto the transfer case that it is off just enough that it is holding the case in between 2 ranges. Any ideas?

10. 84fiero123

Sorry for the delay on getting back to this. I had to help a friend put in some windows in a new house he is building.

I looked at my manual, it does not cover the 01 just up to 2000. But anyway.

The only thing I found was 54 a metallic grating noise consistent with vehicle speed.

U-joints.

But if it does this when it’s not moving you can forget about that.

There is no real info on the transfer case..