Magnaflow or Flowmaster

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by CarpenterGuy, Aug 24, 2008.

1. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I've been looking at a cat-back exaust system for the future, just planing out. I've been looking at the Flowmaster and the Magnaflow. I like that Flowmaster lets you have two different heads, but i also want something thats going to give me more power and a nice sound. I'm also thinking about cost, but i guess i can sacrifice a little green for a nice system. thanks

2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

my single flowmaster 40 sieres dumped is extremly loud .. i frequently set off car alarms
    very loud i highly recomend it
    and i got 1 mpg better!
    def worth the 200$

3. CarpenterGuy

Wait, how much was it? How much gain in HP do i get too. Do they make one in dual?

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Try hooker aerochambers can find them pretty cheap on ebay, just found out about them and considering them to replace my magnaflow

5. kid clever38

kid clever38 New Member

alright, i'll admit, I'm still a little green in the gills. Can you tell me what "dumped" means? And how loud is extremely loud?? Like piss off the neighbors loud when you get all over it as you leave the drive way, or wake up the neighborhood as soon as you turn the key?? :neutral:

I'm wanting a new system and 200 bones aint so bad BUT I'd rather not wear out my welcome around here.

6. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

Magnaflow or Flowmaster : Pepsi or Coke?

I'm on my second Flowmaster. The first finally rusted thru, but it lasted 3 times longer than the OE muff. For the second one, I went 3" from the Y to the tip (at the bumper). A hi-flow Magnaflow cat and the "quietest" Flowmaster made. A littler rougher and louder than the original Flowmaster that had a section 2 3/4" pipe between the cat and muff. Changing that short section of pipe to 3" makes quite a difference. Just put on a 4" OD x 10" resonator tip and the wife is happy.
    FYI: The Magnaflow cat failed at my last smog test, and it was barely out of warranty.

7. rockrash

rockrash New Member

I just had a Magnaflow cat-back installed and I love it. I went with the single side exit. It sounds good but not too loud. Its just loud enough to be heard at idle but not so noticable at hwy speeds well untill you lay into it, then it opens up. Very noticable seat of the pants increase. Torque is the most noticable to me. Definitly two thumbs up from me.

8. CarpenterGuy

Down here in Bamy we don't have smog tests, so i'll take anything that meets my needs. I want something that will make my truck sound like a beast and give me a deep tone, something really open. I also want it to give me some more power. I'm not looking for something that blows out the neighbors windows when i back out of the drive way though.

9. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i would recommend magnaflow here

10. wallstetter

wallstetter Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

i have a single magnaflow ran with 3" and the a 5" dumper and it sounds awsome not to loud but enough to get someones attention