1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Magnaflow or Flowmaster?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Alaskan, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan Rockstar

This is my problem. I want to install some kind of cat back system. Right now I'm looking at magnaflow and flowmaster, but I am open to others.

Situation: I want to install this myself since It looks pretty easy. I've read I have to cut the old oem system out, I do have a lift that will bring the truck over my head, but It's in the back of my hangar. This means I could slide it out potentially (I don't want to move any airplanes right now, its too cold outside I think I might lose $'s from the heat lost) I am going to weld them eventually, but when I can get the truck into my building. All I want is some nice tone and no to little drone, but all the while having a ballsy sound when I get on it. I'm thinking a single in dual out the back configuration. Also I don't know if weather makes a difference. I live in Fairbanks Alaska and it can get cold, there is snow. I don't think the roads are salted.

Anything is helpful.

2006 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab 5.3L
    Cat back would be the first non stock thing.
    Except for deck and home made front moose light bar.
  2. Gnarnar

Gnarnar New Member

Well you'll get more power out of the magnaflow and you'll get a decent sound out of it.

Personally i like the sound of flowmaster.

Its not a huge hp difference between the two with just a catback.
  3. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a borla exhaust on my 08 silverado that i like but i like flowmaster as well!!
  4. BLK-Z71

BLK-Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

borla exhaust :great:
  5. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I got the flowmaster knockoff from the local muffler man installed for $125. I love the sound, and the price, overall I'm very happy with my decision.

I just couldn't bring myself to spend $500+ just for the brand
  6. b_burdine

b_burdine Rockstar 100 Posts

I also like the sound of Borla, then Magnaflow because they do have a good horsepower boost but it's not as loud, but Flowmaster also sounds good but has a decent drone to it. I suggest that if you trailer anything for long periods of time, don't make your exhaust go out the back, let it behind a rear tire or something like that. Also I wouldn't go through the name brand either, although you do get a warranty you still could get the name brand for half price and still know that you got the name brand for half the price and how can a bunch of pipes mess up? lol My vote is Borla or Magnaflow.
  7. Alaskan

Alaskan Rockstar

Thanks for all of your posts. I bought a Magnaflow cat back kit and I will be installing it soon. I'm thinking about posting a comprehensive youtube video. Maybe.

Thanks Again Everyone
  8. Waco

Waco Member

definitely shoot us the video. You'll be very happy with the Magnaflow - and with snowy roads you'll be glad you went with name brand for the warranty.
  9. prod78chevy

prod78chevy New Member

Flowmaster, all the way! 40 Series, you won't regret it!
  10. I have a 99 2wd with 5.3v8. I had true duals put on with magnaflow mufflers (the middle length of case). I don't have any tooling to bend pipe so I had a shop do it. If you cut the y-pipe just b4 it merges into 1 and continue back with 3" the whole way you'll get true duals and much better sound.
    For the true duals 3" stainless plus 2-$140 magnaflow mufflers I had it installed for $600 not including tips that I bought elsewhere.
    Great grumble at idle, not too loud at cruising speed and sounds bad ass when you romp on it!