Mags at Dallas 7-Eleven stores? At kid-eye level? Is this wrong at 7-11?

Discussion in 'TX - North Texas Chevy Truck Club' started by ChevyFan, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'm not against the first amendment rights for this material or anything like that, but I do think there is a time and a place for this material to be displayed. I was just at 7-Eleven last week and I was concerned by what I saw so I figured I would raise the question if it bothers anyone else.

"Curvy" Magazine is at eye-level with small children at 7-Eleven in Dallas
    I just snapped these pictures at the 7-Eleven (7-11) on Lemmon Ave. in Dallas. There is a magazine about 24 inches off the ground called "Curvy". Does that bother anyone else? It certainly does to me. I thought there were laws on where and how these magazines could be displayed and they are supposed to be out of reach of children.

I'm not going to take my kids into a store with that material at their eye level, smack in front of the checkout where you can't avoid it. They're too young to be put into a position where they have to understand what they're seeing when it's clearly a sexual pose. Usually most stores that have this will have it behind the counter, or at the top-level of the magazine rack.

This just caught me off guard. I'm afraid that it's one more reason for me to keep going to the QuickTrip and the RaceTrac type stores, I don't have to worry about this type of material in the eyes - and within easy reach - of my kids.

Now that I look at this big-picture, I actually have a problem with the Sports Illustrated being there too at that level with that cover. I guess we're just a culture that's obsessed with sex and images of women to attract men to buy stuff.

I does come down to my consumer spending habits. Now that I've been through that I will definitely think twice before going into a 7-Eleven with my kids anytime in the near future.

Attached Files:

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

not sure I would want that at my kids eye level either. but is it bad that I kept checking the picture to see if I thought it was bad:rofl:.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Want me to do some recon work to see if they're still there? Or have the next issue for you?

Yeah, just time and place. My kids have enough to worry about in this world without this being forced on them at such a young age.

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Definately have to agree

5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I also thought there was a law that states where these mags can be displayed, & it is/was behind the counter where they are "not visible" to children. Maybe it is a difference in state laws. I would definitely write the owner, manager a letter & tell him you will have to shop somewhere else because you always have your kids with you, & you don't feel like subjecting them to this. I have seen pg-13 stuff like that, but it is always behind the counter on the bottom row where little kids can't see over the counter & see it. Those guys are idiots putting it on the front side. You should send them a copy of that one pic that has the little kid in it because is shows the mags are clearly visible to him, & will easily prove your point.

6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Slightly different point of view;
    The people shown in those photos are surgically enhanced and photoshop enhanced.
    Why do we insist on fake humans- even when we exploit humans we use fake humans.
    Does paying $10,000 to surgically insert 1.5 lb of synthetic rubber in someone's chest make sense?
    Crazy world.

7. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I think its wrong to have it at eye level and with in reach for kids, they dont need to have all that crap in front of them esp since they dont know what a lot of it is sadly our supreme court would side with the store on this one, even tho the 1st amendment was set in place to protect citizens against the government lashing out at them. it wasnt put in place to protect trashy magazine producers and the stores that put them in inappropriate places, of course thats my take on the 1st amendment im sure some one else out there has their own.

8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

It's not a first amendment issue Sarge. If it was I would be on the stores side. The first amendment covers the freedom to write, the publication of, & the dissemination of the material, not where it's displayed in a store. The display laws are covered by state & county laws, & city ordinances.

9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Could you send me that copy? I did not get mine in the mail... J/k.... They should be behind the counter..

As a Side note this months issue of Playboy has Tara Reid on the cover. Her mother was my kindergarden teacher and I saw her when she was born...

10. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Unfortunately its all about making the almighty dollar! i'm sure thats all the southland corp. cares about as well as all other convenience store chains care about today.