GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Major Road Construction

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by tbplus10, Jun 15, 2012.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Dont know if the rest of the countries highways are under construction but in the DFW area theres 15 major highway construction projects going on right now, most of my job is on-site at hospitals so I'm spending a lot of time stuck in traffic between accounts.
    Theres 4 interstates through the DFW area and countless state highways and everyone of them is getting a new interchange at the same time.
    Unfortunately my office is located less than a quarter mile from the two largest projects and unless I want to drive 25 miles out of the way I have no choice but to drive right through the middle of it during my daily commute. I did manage to change my work schedule so I'm not traveling during rush hour but I'm still stuck in traffic at 8:00 in the evening, just not as much.
    Are other parts of the country undergoing this much construction right now?
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Try driving through NYC....:grrrrrr: Always Being worked on... The Cross Bronx Expressway has been voted the worse in the US many times.. Now you know why I got new shocks...
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

I remember riding in a taxi there once and thinking I'm glad this isnt my car.
    Yea our roads are so bad right now I dont even ride my bike to work.
  4. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

ever try 264? you almost need an suv. i have been from coast to coast in this country and 264 is a road that i feel is flat out dangerous to drive on.
  5. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

Utah got it's share of cash from feds and they are trying to spend it before Obutthead leaves office. If only the quality was worth the cost and inconveniece

Try I-15 in Utah County what a cluster.
  6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

In Pa there are 2 seasons. Construction and Winter
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

They got federal highways dollars for big "shovel-ready" type projects that started coming on January 1st, I think. So now that we're into the heavy sunlight days, they're building and repairing like crazy.
  8. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

Three more highways started construction here and 7 state roads. Also 3 links to transit trains, whih also dig up roads and cause massive delays.
    I love the ten guys leaning on a shovel or rake and two that are being held up by a stop sign as three walk around in Slacks and shirt and tie with a clean hard hat on.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Most of the construction started before Jan 1 up around Grapevine (114) and I-35/820, this is all Texas Tollway commission money.
    Starting next year you wont be able to drive around 121, 183, or 114 in the Fort Worth and HEB area without paying tolls.
    Yep our fine friends at the Texas tollway commision have found a new place to raid our pockets, time for a new Governor and senators if their gonna allow this to happen to the citizens.
    THey wouldnt dare put a tollway in south Dallas, John Wylie Price would be all over them.
  10. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member

They started repaving the highway outside of our office (Hwy 2, known as Idaho street that goes to Idaho, lol). They said the project would be done by June 15th, and they just started paving the east bound side of the road for a few blocks. The weather hasn't cooperated, but I would have hoped they would repave roads that actually needed it.

They are repaving Hwy 93 N. that goes across the canadian border, but they are only doing parts of it, and they are doing it with a box scraper, so you still feel every bump and hole there was in the road (and there is a TON in that highway).

Lots of other projects as well, those are just the most noteworthy. I drive all over, so I know what stuff to avoid, lol.
  11. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

minnesota has a ya beat, we have almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction!

Alex
  12. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

I will trade with Minnesota. We are already in high 90's every day and it is just June. And more construction to begin July1 in Salt Lake, on top of all the current projects.
    Government must have planned all this as it makes no sense at all.
    Latest road they did was spray tar then dump trucks of aggregate on road and let us the drivers work it into the hot pavement. Can you say Body and Paint shop? Sadly all that did was intensify the ridges and bumps in the road
  13. Sierraowner5.3

hey, its been hot in minnesota to. talked to my dad on sunday, he said its been 80-90+ pretty much constantly the last 10 days or so.

and I hear ya on the roads coach, minnesota does something similar.

Alex
  14. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

It seems a waste to do a half hearted job that needs to be redone in another year. Just close the road do 24/7 construction and reopen. Then move to the next one on the list and do the same. That way traffic can still have some flow to it.
  15. Sierraowner5.3

what they do is resurface, run a grinder over the road to level it, shoot some oil down, then dump the grindings (sp???) back over it and have drivers pack it down. throws bits of pavement everywhere! not so bad once it gets packed, and does a halfway decent job at smoothing the road out, but its very irritating to drive on after they just did it. u end up with lots of nicks in your paint. one reason lots of people have big custom mudflaps on their trucks, keep the rocks and crap down. tho we do have lots of gravel roads where im from, so thats part of the reason.

Alex
  16. Lerch98

Lerch98 New Member

Here in Milwaukee a lot of the streets are pretty bad with frost damage and heaving. You need to have a high ground clearance vehicle. The street outside work is so bad that it will kill your shocks and beat up the rest of your suspension. Its so bad that if they tore up all the pavement it would probably be better.

The freeways are a joke in this town. The stupid politicians will bicker and #### around until the bridges are ready to collapse. And those those turd bags would rather spend money on a stupid train that no one will ride instead of fixing the roads and freeways that every one needs.

To my friends in DFW, as the saying goes, it could be worse, you could be in Milwaukee.
  17. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

Had a couple of job offers in Milwaukee. How is the environment there?
  18. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member

In Baton Rouge, theres always roads being worked on between I10, I12, I110, Airline, Essen, Bluebonnet, Highway 30, Highway 44, Highway 431, Siegan Ln, and various roads in and around Baton Rouge. Really speeding along when they're not sitting on their butts drinking water because its 0700 and it already broke 73 outside. I really wonder if they're "fixing" the roads or just making them worse...
  19. Lerch98

Lerch98 New Member

We just had a major election a couple of weeks back. Leading up to that (for the past year) there was a lot of uncertainty and employers were reluctant to post job positions. Now, it is expected that employers will pick things up a bit. There are good prospects for technical positions (Technicians, Engineers, Mechanics, skilled trades).

Milwaukee, being in south eastern Wisconsin has a varied climate. with 100 degree temperature swing though out the year. Today it is about 95 degrees with 70 degree dew point. The breeze is from the west so there is no lake effect. In winter we get 1 to 4 feet of snow. We don't (usually) have the extreme cold of North Dakota or the extreme summers of DFW, but we get every thing in between.
  20. Ridyn

Ridyn New Member

Lots of construction on I-35 in waco making the interstate bigger and increasing the speed limit. Also on 1365 in Mexia, they are also making that road bigger. It's literally almost the size of Hwy 84, it has me wondering what these bigger roads are for.

Is it linked to the conspiracy theories about underground bunkers and these larger roads are just there for easier access?! haha