GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Major System Upgrade - other important notes

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

NEW SERVER
    I have scheduled to have a new server installed next week. We have received up to 20,000 visits in a single day in the last few weeks so we have to move up to a beefy dedicated server.

Moving will mean that we will get a new IP address. No way around that, so there will be a lag-time for DNS propagation, maybe up to 24 hours to some parts of the world. Most people in the US will have some issues for as little as a couple of hours to maybe a few hours. I'm going to request that we do the switch in the middle-to-end of the week - and do it very early in the morning (like 4 am or something).

MALWARE
    We (along with maybe 50,000 other sites) got hit with some malware earlier in the month. It's been there stealing links for sometime, but recently it broke and ended up redirecting first-time visitors to a different website. All websites that got hit with this were given a penalty from Google (and rightfully so) but it looks like that's been lifted for us now.

* Please note that this website saw a 90% DECREASE in search-traffic from Google. That really hurt us, but we should bounce back. This has been my #1 focus for a good number of weeks now, so pardon me if I was not able to focus on some of the other stuff going on in the site.

CHAT SYSTEM
    The chat system we had did work, but it was very expensive if we wanted to upgrade. So I bought and installed the current chat system CometChat ... that was a huge mistake. We'll go back to the other chat system next week and then look for a long-term solution at some point in the future.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member

Keep up the good work Steve. A smooth running site makes the users happy!!!:great:
  3. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

ditto on that comment from Red
  4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

X3 on what they said Steve. You do a great job keeping this machine rolling.
  5. ChevyFan

Ok, it looks like I will be able to fund the new webserver this weekend so maybe Friday or Saturday we will have a new server in place.

IF YOU WANT, do a test for how long it takes to load a webpage now ... then test again next week. :) We should be much faster in loading, especially for pages with a lot of content like photos and videos.
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

Sweet...thnx!!
  7. donyms

donyms New Member

Wow Steve, I don't know where you find the time to do all you do but thank you very much. The site is great already and I am looking forward to the improvements.
  8. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member

Thanks for all you do Steve.
  9. AMac

AMac New Member

Thank you for the update Steve along with the effort on keeping the site a "well oiled machine".
  10. ChevyFan

nothing I've ever done has been well oiled, but thanks anyhow. I'm just waiting on some money to clear and I'll get start the ball rolling on the new server.
  11. AMac

AMac New Member

ahhh give yourself more credit!!!