1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

making a 2wd a 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 2wheelmudder, May 24, 2009.

1. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder New Member

I as wondering with many people's experience it is to make a 2wd a 4wd, i have been looking into it, i know i would have to do alot of fab if i wanted a straight axle in the front or an iss would be really complicated on the front, its on a 95 Chevy 1500 silverado
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

If your gonna do this project stick with a solid axle, IFS would be a major headache to get the geometry and clearance right.
    You can also go with a linked and coil sprung front suspension, but this will increase the cost of the swap and again getting geometry right is crucial.
    Theres a couple manufacturers making kits for this swap, google "chevrolet axle swaps".
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Agreed, go with solid front, and yes plenty of kits to swap IFS to solid, I am sure there even articles on doing ti yourself if you dig through four wheelin or other similiar mags
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Also search for SAS. Solid Axle Swap. Took me a while to figure out what that meant.

Really think this project through. After you go through the work of getting the front axle mounted, you still have alot to do. You will need to tear down your tranny to change the tailshaft, or get a new tranny. Will need a transfer case. I don't know if your transmission hump will clear the t-case and shifter linkage. New driveshafts, and maybe a new crossmember. Probably new rear springs to match the front height. New wheels and tires. Swap out the rear axle to get six (or eight) lugs, and decent gears. It's going to be a ton of work and money. Unless your truck is mint, and you love it, and you have a donor 4WD to rob parts from, and you have time to kill, and something else to drive while your truck is torn down, I would suggest saving your pennies and trade your truck towards a 4WD.
  5. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder New Member

thanks guys, yeah i was hoping for a solid axle, it would be alot better in the long run anyways, ill look into it more
  6. Pedro

Pedro New Member

I completely agree with 2COR517. Making a 2wd truck into a 4wd truck is a major project. You may find it not to be worth it in the long run. A project like that would probably not be the most cost or time effective. Not to discourage you, but like 2COR517 said, there is a lot of work and money involved in a job like that.
  7. project86

project86 New Member

2wd to 4wd it can be done, I just did it on my chevy. It was easier for me because it was an older truck. I would suggest finding a 4wd pickup close to the same year, make, model, extended cab and all of that from a junk yard that has the drivetrain still on the frame and swap the body. Yeah its work, but I just swapped an 86 onto a 77 frame if you have a will there is a way. Took me about three weekends. Good luck
  8. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder New Member

yeah thats what i been thinkin bout doin
  9. PitKrew

PitKrew New Member

I have a 78 4x4 I'll sell you if you want to come and get it in Washington, runs and drives great!!!
  10. fx2offroad

fx2offroad New Member

I've seen it done on a 96 suburban. Not easy, but this guy can weld and make anything out of metal. So it was fun to him. switched out the tranny to an 80, and 14 bolt full flooter on the back, and dyna 60 in the front with 4:56 gears. But this thing is bad ass. 12 inch lift kit, and 3 in. body lift.

There is A LOT of things that have to be done, computer reprogramed, frame strenghtened, ect. TO MANY TO LIST!
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009