Making power with the LQ4 and EFI

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by paracutin, Mar 21, 2012.

1. paracutin

paracutin Rockstar 100 Posts

My 04 2500HD has the tried and true 300hp/360lb ft LQ4 motor. I have read many articles where guys have swapped on L92 heads, new valve train, cam and lifters and an intake with a 4bbl carb. I am looking to make more power and torque while keeping EFI in tact. The way I see it, I have two basic choices.

Option 1: Magnaflow Supercharger. This will add about 140hp to the tune of $6000. It is a bolt on kit with everything included.
    Option 2: L92 heads, valve train, cam, lifters, intake (L76?) and programmer. I'm figuring I can make the same power as the blower for half the money.

Does anyone know which intake will work with the L92 heads?
    How much power can I make with the factory EFI? Is 500hp/450lb ft too much to expect? At what point will I need higher flow injectors and fuel pump?

Ideas and comments welcome!

2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

no idea. however, you may want to look at swapping a LQ9 in. should bolt right up, makes about 350 from the factory.

can be found in escalades.

Alex

3. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you end up pursuing this, keep us posted. If you could get a before/after dyno, that would be even better. I'm genuinely curious what kind of output you could get with those mods.

4. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

it seems as if you and I need to have us a lil chat bud. I'm basically doing the exact same thing but taking my lm7 to the lq9 spec. I've got a buddy who is putting his together right now with a Texas Speed cam kit. He also works for GM here, and we've sat down and figured up some possible setups. Im excited that someone else on here is actually trying to get power from their pickup the same was as we are!