1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Manifold Gasket and reat Heater hose replacement 1999 C1500 Suburban 350

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by garymadison, Jun 25, 2011.

1. garymadison

garymadison New Member

Hi

I posted in the SUV area and received great advice.
    I would lie to get some aditional info on a problem.
    My Suburban has developed a larfe coolant leak that lows dow the rear of the engine and off of the torque converter case (bell housing).
    I will have to do this repair myself.
    I understand there is a "fitting" at the rear of the engine that is prone to failure and relates to the flow of coolant.
    Is there a step by step guide for these repairs?
    Is the rear heater hose connected to the "fitting".
    I want to do this repair once due to time and would like to do any preventative work that is common to my truck.
    Thanks

gary

2. Bigg Ron

Bigg Ron Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not sure what fitting you are asking about, the only thing in the rear of the engine i can think of is the freeze plugs, I have seen them fail from corrosion. If they are in the rear of the block you most likely need to move the trans back out of the way. There is a tool available that is bent with a ball on the end that will accept the freeze plug press. it is designed to be pivoted on the frame or other pivot point. If it is in a place where you can sing a hammer you can use a lagre socket to tap it in. Let me know if this is what you have leaking and if you need more help.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The heater hose fitting at the front of the manifold is prone to failure, maybe that's the fitting you are thinking of.

It might be wise to buy/borrow a cooling system pressure tester to find the exact location of the leak.