manual transmission difficulty

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ochoa1964, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ochoa1964

ochoa1964 New Member

I have a 1995 gmc sierra with a 305 and a 5 speed maual trans. My problem is at start up is goes into gear just fine, but once the engine is warmed up and i start getting traffic lights. Since i have it in nuetral and try to put it in gear it wont go in. In other words can't put it in gear without strugling and grinds when i try to put it in reverese. Has any one had this problem or know what i'm talking about.

2. bac-n-afect

bac-n-afect Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm no expert

I was having some of the same problems with an S-10 I had in highschool... I want to say that It ended up being the pressure plate was worn.

But like I said, I'm no expert.

Out of curiosity, How many people have learned how to drive stick in your truck?
    Marc

3. ochoa1964

ochoa1964 New Member

i finally figured out the problem, the line rubbed on the body for so long it wore a pin size hole in the clutch line. went to a local auto parts and paid 44dls for a dorman replacement clutch line. And i don't teach nobody how to drive stick.

4. bac-n-afect

bac-n-afect Rockstar 100 Posts

good news

Thats great! always awsome when its a cheap fix. And Great Policy... Not only did I not teach anyone but I am the only person that drives my truck.

5. ochoa1964

ochoa1964 New Member

not such an easy fix

man i fix one problem then my clutch goes out, what luck. No matter though after this it will run like a champ.

6. kidashley25

kidashley25 New Member

It is not hard if you know how to drive a manual.
    If you're thinking about changing your transmission: Buy another car with an A/T instead. It is way more cost effective.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    AC Delco Fan Drive Belt - 0.19 in. x 94.5 in., serpentine belt; A high quality, direct fit OE replacement fan belt; Replaces OE number 88932788.

7. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I was having the same exact problem with my 95 305 5-speed. I just had the clutch replaced and now it shifts like a breeze.