1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MAP sensor fell into manifold

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by FergusonT, Jan 29, 2013.

1. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

Long story short, the MAP sensor broke and the piece that goes into the manifold fell into the manifold. I would assume this is just - Take manifold off, find the piece, reinstall manifold -. Anything I should know? I have never removed an intake manifold, plan on going by the Haynes manual on this one.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, the engine was off and has not been turned over since.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

is the part that fell in metal? maybe you can fish it out with a magnet.
  3. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

I am not sure actually...but I guess its worth it to try. Its the end of the sensor that sticks down into the intake manifold, from what I remember it is all rubber seal on the outside. The way it broke off I am assuming its all plastic.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess what I need to know is the best way to do the gasket. Where to use RTV.
  4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member ROTM Winner

Buy quality gaskets... And RTV at each end of the intake gasket meets the little gaskets on each end of the intake. Be sure you get yourself a gasket scraper... And plug all the intake ports and lay an old hand towel in the block to catch all the chunks before you start scraping. Another tip... Be sure you mark the distributor position on the intake and rotor position under the cap. This way when you re-install the timing will be close.
  5. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

No distributor on this truck thank god.

- - - Updated - - -

Im an idiot, I never said what truck...its a 1999 Silverado 5.3.
  6. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

take the intake tube off and open the throttle and make sure you cant see it first. if you can get a pick or put a small loop in a coat hanger and use a bunch of grease a tthe end to grab the piece. also you truck has an upper and lower intake. i dont think you will need rtv for seperating the lower and upper intake. i know the some of them use an oring that you can reuse if you choose.
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Well I thought I had a picture of my truck intake, but I can't find it. 99 was the first year for "DRY" intake manifolds. There are 2 gaskets, each one is made of plastic and each intake port has a rubber o-ring. These are reusable gaskets, BUT you might have an o-ring that gets mangled when you remove the intake so be prepared to have to go and get new gaskets. ($14.99) Felpro from autozone or wherever.

The MAP sensor is also plastic, there is no metal to it at all.
  8. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

I got the throttle body off and looked into the manifold. Cant see back far enough to where the MAP sensor was sitting. Looks like the manifold has 2 chambers, all I could see at the back of the first chamber was a small hole that led back further to where the map sensor sits.
  9. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member

dry manifold like I said in the other post, you will need to replace the intake o-rings. No point will need rtv or even coolant if you unbolt the throttle body and leave it on the engine. Its a really easy job, just make sure to put balled up sheets of heavy papertowel into the intake ports on the head and remember to take them out too. No big
  10. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member