1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MAP sensor fell into manifold

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by FergusonT, Jan 29, 2013.

1. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I did spill coolant, I removed the hose from the drivers side of the throttle body.[/QUOTE]

You could have left it on but like i said but no matter. If you have a 3/8 or 1/4 torque wrench use it because if you dont tighten the intake right it will warp.
  2. FergusonT

FergusonT Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Alright got the manifold off, peaked into the port for cylinder 8....and there sits the little rubber piece from my MAP sensor, sitting on top of the closed valve.
  3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

so maybe now with a good MAP the engine will run good. I suspected that your MAF was messed up.
  4. FergusonT

You could have left it on but like i said but no matter. If you have a 3/8 or 1/4 torque wrench use it because if you dont tighten the intake right it will warp.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw your post after I had already done it...oh well

- - - Updated - - -

With the codes I was getting, I am wondering if maybe it needed new intake gaskets anyways. Maybe I should replace the MAF as well.
  5. FergusonT

Well well....Last night....snapped a manifold bolt..........
  6. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

removing or installign the bolt? time to invest in some broken bolt removal tools.
  7. FergusonT

re installing, I got it out though. It snapped up high thank god. Just spent all day running around and calling places, can't find anywhere. Wandered around a junk yard for about 45 minutes, no gm 5.3 motors. Guess I gotta go through the stealership on this one.
  8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

you better get a torque wrench and the torque specs. no reason to break these bolts easy on this hardware. also you must follow the proper torque proceedure . this is why bolts break and components get distorted. all these parts are soft ALUM>>>>.
  9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The dealership charges $1.35 for the bolt, and have them print off your torque specs. Take your vin # with you, so they give you the correct one's for your vehicle. The only thing I will say about it is the torque sequence is done in 3 passes on each bolt, staggered in a pattern like a star. Make sure you read it real close, because they go from inches-lbs, to ft-lbs. and it's easy to screw up!
  10. FergusonT

I've got the specs and the sequence from a haynes manual, the problem was I was using a bad torque wrench. I was using my dads old wrench, he goes "oooh yeah, I used that on my '67 Camaro back in the '70s." It had to have been off, it was saying 40lbs and it snapped a bolt.