Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

marine59

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by marine59, Dec 11, 2010.

1. marine59

marine59 Member

good morning all, i havea question for any service techs, when installing a new oil filter, is it nessary to put oil in filter prior to install, a friend took his trk to wal mart and they told him that was not how they were taught, wow i was taught that years ago what say you, thanks marine59:money:

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. I always pre-oil my filters. Sounds like a LAZY Walmart worker.

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! I agree that it should be done, also. It may be a small thing, but pretty cheap insurance.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome aboard!

5. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club from another Marine! As stated, pre-oiling is cheap insurance...do it!

6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club!

7. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club and thanks for your service!

8. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have to admit that I've never heard of pre-filling the filter before installing. What's the difference?

9. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the GM truck club 59 & thanks for your service...

X10 on filling the oil filter before installing it.

Al, If you don't fill it before installing it, your engine bearings get one big gulp of air for about 15-20 seconds, that does absolutely nothing to protect it. I also let mine sit for about 5 minutes, so the oil can soak through the media & am able to add about another 1/2 cup to fill it on up.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  10. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I never fill my filter...but i just start the engine untill i see oilpress., and then top of the oil ?!!!!!!

Why is that wrong ???