1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mass Air Flow Sensor Problems

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chevyman1297, Sep 25, 2009.

1. chevyman1297

chevyman1297 New Member

2002 S10 Skips bad and blows out black smoke with the MAF sensor plugged in but with it unplugged it runs fine. What are the chances of having a bad sensor??
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

I would say quite good! Have you tried cleaning it?
  3. msvx95

msvx95 Member

What kind of air filter do you have? If you are using one you have to oil...maybe some oil coated the sensor.

I think brake cleaner should work well to soak the sensor in.
  4. jt_5.7

jt_5.7 New Member

get some maf cleaner it works great
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

You may have a bad sensor or it could be something else. I would check the trouble codes as well as clean the sensor before buying any parts.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

CRC makes a MAF cleaner. Its in a silver can. Dont use throttlebody, carb or any other cleaner except MAF cleaner.
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Good tip! The carb cleaners will leave an oil based residue which will skew the sensor reading causing a loss of power.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Very good suggestion.

You definitely don't want to use brake cleaner, and you don't need to soak it. As mentioned before, use the CRC MAF cleaner ONLY.

Just spray the wires with the cleaner. No fingers, q-tips, compressed air, nothng. I like to take the actual sensor out of the fitting assembly. The honeycomb on the inbound side makes it difficult to clean the MAF wires.