Master Cylinder Reservoir Cleaning

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Stretch56, Aug 11, 2014.

  1. The Heater

    The Heater Rockstar 100 Posts

    You can take the O-rings to an industrial hydraulic hose supplier in your area. Look up American Hose and Fittings, see if they are around you. They are big, I have used them a buncha times for stuff (mostly custom hydraulic hoses and fittings) for my truck and cars. Or find a Parker hose distributor, they will sell O-rings as well (American is a Parker distributor). You might also find the O-Ring at a Grainger dealer, although your best bet is an industrial hydraulic hose dealer.
  2. Stretch56

    Stretch56 Member

    Thanks guys,

    I guess the actual name of the O-ring is a "Grommet" so it must be thicker than a standard O-ring. I'm sure it's a sales issue with GM and the OEM suppliers of not supplying the Grommets separately, so you'll have to buy a complete MC w/ reservoir or just the reservoir. I thought about hitting the junk yard and finding a reservoir off a wrecked GM 2500, but then I could have unknown corrosion issues from the idled MC.

    This reservoir gunk issue has opened up another can of worms of what's the life expectancy of a Master Cylinder? I know that's subjective, but I just replaced my leaking Hydro-Boost last month and it's slaved to the MC, so both parts have the same number of pedal pushes on them. So if what's good for the Goose is good for the Gander, I would think the MC piston seal should start leaking anytime.

    So maybe I should just replace the MC & reservoir and be done with it. That way, I wont have to replace the MC down the road and I can start from a new baseline. I'll keep my fluid changed more often and I shouldn't have this problem again.

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos