Me and my GMC

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Turbogus, Apr 25, 2016.

1. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

now thats weird man. have you tried safely slamming on the brakes on a gravel road to see if it will cycle? I dont know a whole lot about abs other than the above or a real fancy computer is required to make it cycle / read it. what happens when the scanner is unplugged, engine running, abs light on and then you plug the scanner in. does it go right off? no codes are displayed eh?

Ted... do you think with the scanner plugged in it could be providing a ground somehow?

2. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

RayVoy and thegawd like this.
  3. Turbogus

Turbogus Active Member 100 Posts

I haven't tried it on any slick surface yet, just wanting to get rid of that pesky idiot light. As long as I plug in the dingus before each startup all is well. If I don't (so far) the idiot light illuminates about 5 seconds after rolling out. All green on the emmission tests but when I press the ABS button there is consistently a failure to communicate between the Innova and the ECU in the truck.

4. Turbogus

This is what my plug looks like Ted Pins 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 across the top ad 9, 10, 11 and 15 across the bottom[​IMG]

Compared to the legend of the one mentioned in that link;

[​IMG]

Pin 2 - J1850 Bus+
    Pin 4 - Chassis Ground
    Pin 5 - Signal Ground
    Pin 6 - CAN High (J-2284)
    Pin 7 - ISO 9141-2 K Line
    Pin 10 - J1850 Bus
    Pin 14 - CAN Low (J-2284)
    Pin 15 - ISO 9141-2 L Line
    Pin 16 - Battery Power

5. xPosTech

The connector shown is the Data Link Connector under your dash. Therefore looking at your connector from the back the pin assignments are the same as the connector. However looking at your connector from the front Pin 1 will be at the top right.

Using X as a missing pin you have across the top right to left: x2x4567x . And the bottom: x10xxx141516 .

It's a very common mistake. You just need to visualize plugging in the connector and looking at your device from the back.

Hope this helps.

Ted

RayVoy likes this.
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

That is correct Ted, good call.

7. Turbogus

Still relying on that dingus to keep the gauges reading correctly, no change there. Recent (2 month old) battery was short water yesterday so took hydrometer readings (all marginal) filled with distilled water going to check again tonight.

8. Turbogus

SO, I'm back to diagnosing the ABS light on this rig. It's more frequent than before, and now that we're getting back into the infamous Oregon rain I road tested it and when the ABS light is off the system does work, while when the light indicates a fault, ABS is not functioning so that rules out insturmentation. The underhood fuse for the ABS looks good but now that I've located it going to Ohm test it tonight. The Innova 3040c is still having communication issues with the ABS system that may indicate a bad ground somewhere (common in the PacNW). Does anyone know where that ground wire (G-105) is for the 1996 GMC K1500 EHCU? I'm going blind looking through page after page of the C/K Truck Service Manual so I'm hoping someone can point this out to me.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  9. xPosTech

If you're talking about the frame ground for the ABS it should be close to the ABS itself. There should be a bolt/stud on the frame.

Ted

10. Turbogus

On this '96 (BBB) the EHCU is mounted up on the left inner fenderwell, rather than on the frame as some mentioned on some Youtube videos. I searched around the area of where I thought a body/frame ground would be but I still cannot find the little bugger.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Am I missing something here?

Edit: I stopped by the shop and borrowed their Technet program and according to that this is supposed to ground at G119 at the Lower Right front of engine. Does anyone have a photo?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016