Members Hobbies?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Cableguy, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I know we all dig the car and truck thing, but what is our members getting up to other than that? Coin collecting, Stamps, model airplanes?? I'm a bit of a woodworker. I've built coffee tables, end tables, craft stuff for the wife like replica milk crates. I find it rewarding and relaxing.
    So what's our members getting up too??

Here is a pine wall I built in rec room to mount the "dope" plasma :he:

Attached Files:

2. Cableguy

Ok everybodies looking but nobody posting. Does that mean I have to assume everybodys knitting in there spare time :lol:

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I was confused by this thing called "spare time" ... what's that?

4. KD7ONE

KD7ONE Rockstar 100 Posts

I spend a good amount of my time online, but I am also a dedicated amateur radio operator (ham). You could probably figure that out by my screen name.
    :cool:

5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I was actually going to ask.

6. GWAGON_99

GWAGON_99 Rockstar 100 Posts

Here are a couple projects that I have done recently not related to cars directly anyway. I built a shelf for my wife(Grace) and I's helmets and to put my tank bag on. I also refinished a coffee table that some friends who were moving gave us. It took me long time to sand,(my wife helped sand for about 20min in the 10-12hrs it took to sand, but then defaulted to keeping me supplied with cold refreshments:biggrin: ) finish and get it as smooth as I wanted it but it looks really good. And lastly I built this workbench out of an old solid wood door I got out of an office building that I was working at when they refinished it. The door was 3 feet wide and 8 feet long. I cut it down to 7 feet and left it 3 feet wide. The bench probably weighs in the 200-300 lb. range but is incredibly strong especially since I used so many 2x4's on it. Also the reason that it is stained is because I did it before I refinished the table and I used part of it as a sample of the stain color for my wife to see and I had some left so I decided to go ahead and finish the whole thing. I am also beging to test my hand at selling Hummers!

Attached Files:

7. Cableguy

There we go! I've always been interested in ham, my grandfather used to do it. Way to go Kd7one nice hobby. You too Jay nice wood working, coffee table looks great. (The work bench is too clean, almost sick :he:)
    Well there ya go fellas who's next, don't be shy. Post!

8. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's a pretty alien concept for those of us with toddlers.:rolleyes:

9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Nice looking workbench. Speaking of which, does anyone have plans for a cheap workbench design? I need to build one into my garage.

10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've got more hobbies than I do time for them.
    My favorite hobby is rock crawling, I have an 85 Toyota 4Runner set up for competion crawling and a 99 Tacoma for weekend off-roading. I'm doing a build on my daily driver Jeep to make it a weekend crawler.
    The next hobby would be spending time on my boat, a Glastron runabout.
    Or playing with my motorcycle a Harley Sportster 883.
    There's no time leftover because after I get done working on all the toys I have to work on the fleet of vehicles that supports them. The Suburban tow rig, wifes Chevelle, or her daily driver Tacoma.
    Maybe my biggest hobby is working on motorized vehicles.