1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Members opinion...

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by PerhapTahoe, Jun 23, 2007.

1. PerhapTahoe

PerhapTahoe New Member

Hey there... new here with a question for y'all.

I am thinking of buying a 1998 Tahoe LS with 123,234 miles on it for about $9k. Nothing wrong with the SUV. No ding, bing, or rust. Still a strong runner with no outward sign of abuse or misuse. Passed a brief test drive and visual machanical inspection by a independent auto machanic.

My question is this: What is the collective opinion of this forum members as to the purchase of this vehicle?

Any comments is welcome as I am not a full size SUV owner and have no experience owning such a vehicle.

Thanks- :info:
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think you can do better on the price. I have a friend that had a 97 Tahoe that he bought for $4500 that had just over 200K miles on it, and he sold it after a year for what he paid for it and bought a 97 GMC Suburban with 165K miles on it for $4000. Both trucks were in very nice shape (esp. the GMC) so shop around. I did check Craigslist and found that price ($9k) to be average but there are some killer deals out there. I saw this beauty for only $5k!
  3. kyle9993

kyle9993 New Member

well in my opinion,chevy tahoes Rock.lol.ok well im a chevy Man myself.but i got a 98tahoe LT 5.7 vortec 350.i love it but they're are some things you may wanna think about b4 buyin it.they do eat up gas compared to a smaller vehicle,and they are prone to a few other problems,like intake manifold gasket failing.mine is just started leaking(132,000miles).maybe its just me but i think thats to soon to leak.but they are great vehicles.i love mine.they are powerful and fun to drive.iv added a tornado to it and a Power-aid TBS to it and i notice a nig difference in power gain.well if ya need any info about the tahoe let me know.

good luck:sign0016::great:
  4. kyle9993

kyle9993 New Member

well in my opinion,chevy tahoes Rock.lol.ok well im a chevy Man myself.but i got a 98tahoe LT 5.7 vortec 350.i love it but they're are some things you may wanna think about b4 buyin it.they do eat up gas compared to a smaller vehicle,and they are prone to a few other problems,like intake manifold gasket failing.mine is just started leaking(132,000miles).maybe its just me but i think thats to soon to leak.but they are great vehicles.i love mine.they are powerful and fun to drive.iv added a tornado to it and a Power-aid TBS to it and i notice a nig difference in power gain.well if ya need any info about the tahoe let me know.

good luck:sign0016::great:
  5. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

That's a great truck, but even if everything is in great condition, I definately wouldn't pay that much for it. Personally, having owned a high mileage GMT-420 Tahoe recently, I wouldn't pay more than $5-6k.

But before you do, take it for a long test drive and listen for any noises. Also make sure it drives straight. With that many miles, I would even suggest taking it to a mechanic so they can inspect everything, check the alignment, etc.

If everything works out, you'll have one nice truck. Good luck!
  6. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

I just payed 4500 for a 97 4x4 suburban with only 103K on it. I think they are high by at least 3 grand on their price. Where are you located, that may affect the price, because down here there are more on the market, lowering the prices.