1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

merchandise returns @ auto parts stores

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by heftylefty58, Dec 6, 2007.

1. heftylefty58

heftylefty58 New Member

From my experience, chain hardware stores (eg, Home Depot, OSH, etc) readily refund my money I when I try to return their merchandise--provided that it is still in good condition and I show them the receipt.

Until recently, I haven't really done much work on my cars other than oil changes. So, I've never needed to return anything to an auto parts store before. Do chain auto parts stores (eg, Kragen, Pep Boys) typically accept returned (non-special order) auto parts?

I'm 75% sure my washer control module needs to be replaced, but I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not I can return the new module if the old one isn't broken.

Thanks.
  2. JayMack75

JayMack75 Former Member

I would guess they do as long as it wasn't filthy or damaged. Of course, there is usually a core charge on most parts so if you return your old part you'll get some money back.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I know I've returned quite a few items to autozone for various reasons, and they have never given me a problem with returning something. I bring the receipt and the item in and they refund me. An odd quirk I've noticed with auto zone is they don't refund in kind (ie debit to a credit to debit, cash to cash, etc). I never carry cash, so I buy my parts with my debit card. When I go to return stuff, they refund me in cash... Not a big gripe, in fact, it's sometimes nice, especially with how long credits usually take to complete through the bank....
  4. heftylefty58

heftylefty58 New Member

Thanks for the feedback. In case anyone's curious, here's what I've learned:

5. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

The only parts I've ever heard of with "return" problems were "electrical" parts. It is easy to "short out" a part and then return it. May not be a problem, but ask before you buy. Good luck!
  6. GM_Guy

GM_Guy New Member ROTM Winner

I have no problem returning something I don't need, I usually just exchange it for something else. special ordered items usually aren't returnable,unless defective
  7. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Got to agree with retired on this one. Matter of fact my local NAPA has a sign on the wall behind the counter that says they don’t take returns on electrical parts for just the reason mentioned by retired.

I do have a pretty good rapport with them though and have returned electrical parts that lasted only a few days.