messed up dome light off switch while fixing headlight knob

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bowtied, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys I had a malfunctioning head light knob so I opened it up didn't see any charring at the connector side so opened up the housing and inspected the pcb I found a milky substance coating the circuit board along with some black charring I can only assume mixed in with the lotioney substance. I used a q tip to carefully clean the black areas and closed it back up

The switch now works as intended but the spring loaded push button that operates the dome light over ride now isn't working. A small metal tab popped out next to the spring and I didn't see where it went so l placed it next to the button I thought that's where it went apparently not now when I push the button the switch clicks but the lights stay on

Here is a picture of the char'd pcb I'm kinda glad I didn't have to drop 65 on a new switch from Napa and can live with the dome light issue it's way more dependable than before

Also I had this phantom problem where lights on dash radio and speedometer would frequently dim and turn off then power on do you think this was related when I opened up the plastic housing I noticed the light had fried and melted the clear plastic reflectors that illuminate the panel and I don't think the light is working any longer . Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of that part but you can see below the blue cover on the light how the bulb is charred likely due to heat

[​IMG]

2. timsilverado

timsilverado New Member

So the tab I'm assuming was a tiny disc with nipples on each side. That goes into the maze where the button slides into the case. Then you install the button and work it gently to get the in and out action going. Carefully reassemble and remember to install the spring before replacing cover. Hit me up if you need more detail.