Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Might be buying a camper...

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by steved, May 15, 2013.

1. steved

steved Former Member

Decided the old 5vr was going to be too much trouble to make it work with this new truck...the trailer is just too short, and I've done all that can be done (short of major mods) to make it ride right behind this 2500. Its an 89, and its meant for a 1500...the axles are flipped, extended spreader bar installed, biggest tires are on...still lacks about 2 inches. So it will be up for sale soon...

The wife and I thought we might want to go smaller, and sort of set our eyes on one of the off-road pop-ups. I don't intend to off-road with it by any means, but more for the tougher tires, heavier frame, higher ground clearance, and the front mounted platform for storage. We found several options, but most needed to be ordered as they are considered a "specialty" camper. We did find a Coleman E3 local to us, will look at it tonight...probably pull the trigger on it.
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I have a forest river work and play toyhauler... just the little 18 ft but really like it. It has a full aluminum roof... since its a toyhauler so when its dirty inside I just grab the pressure washer. When we camp we haul everything in it... bikes, ATVs, you name it... I never have to load anything in my truck. I love this camper... and would recommend to anyone.
  3. steved

steved Former Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

We signed on the dotted line today, should be able to bring it home next week.
  4. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

now, that's what I'm talkin' bout' !!! great lookin rig !!! Brian from Canada:party:
  5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I like it... its nice with the storage in the front... maybe able to haul some toys on there too.
  6. steved

steved Former Member

The platform is big enough for a quad, rated at 800#s. The "fence" around that platform comes off and becomes the ramps for loading.

I figured for coolers, extra stuff, firewood, bicycles, etc...it should work pretty good.
  7. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

Just keep an eye on your actual tongue weight and don't exceed the trucks allowable tongue weight when you load up that front storage area.
  8. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Have a link to the website? I've always loved those.
  9. steved

steved Former Member

This actual camper hasn't been made since 2011, because Coleman/Fleetwood went out of business. The rights were bought by Somerset, who still makes a version of the E3.

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda hard to exceed the tongue weight when the max tongue is 900#s...4400 GVW with a 3500 axle means there is a max of 900 pounds resting on the hitch. That should hardly make a difference for a 2500HD...
  10. steved

steved Former Member

Well, I own it...its tucked away in the garage.

Had to put new tires on it, the OEs were weather checked in between the tread blocks (mud tires); so I opted for load range E Hercules ST trailer tires in a 225x75R15 flavor. The OE tires were basically right at there max load rating, and were actually hot by the time I got home (a slow 35 mph trip on about 25 miles of secondary roads). I'm hoping the STs provide a lower rolling resistance, and give me a little mileage.

I started touching up things like paint (hitch, jack, and step) and getting things lubed up. I already figured out that I will need to do some soldering on the brake circuit because of the crimp connectors. But that will come in a few weeks, after the first shake down run this coming weekend.