1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mirror compass retrofit question

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Hummer, Jun 2, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Hummer

Hummer New Member

I just got a 2003 Silverado and note there is no compass in the rear view mirror and I have freinds with them. The mirror has a power cord run to it and appears to be identical to plugs the compass mirror has on my friends Chevy.

Can I just go to salvage yard and obtain a compass mirror and do a swap out or is there other issues to be considered?

My gut feeling is the same wiring harness is in all the Silverados as it would make sense from a engineering and assembly standpoint on the line.

Hopefully someone can give a definitive answer on this as I would love a compass mirror.

Is there more than one variation of these?
  2. no0b123

no0b123 New Member 100 Posts

It's the same plug, but requires more wires and an antenna of some sort (for direction). Unfortunately I don't think you can go to a scrap yard and swap it. There is more to it. The dealership price is expensive ($300). I have looked into this before, and my end result was to give up. But if you do find information, please let me know because I am looking for the same thing!
  3. Hummer

Hummer New Member

I don't remember where I read it now but in the last several days it says the sensors are in the mirror???
  4. no0b123

no0b123 New Member 100 Posts

I had it in my mind that the sensors were mounted within the engine compartment :gasp:
    Maybe the after market ones have the sensors built inside them? Here's a link to what I was looking at:
    http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Mirrors/Mito/autodimming_compass_mirror.htm