1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mirrors with turn signals - 2001 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by McClintoc, Apr 16, 2014.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I want to swap out my old side mirrors for some mirrors with the LED turn indicators in them. My concern is, is my truck wired for that option? I don't think turn indicator mirrors were an option for Silverados until 2003 or so. Since my truck is a 2001 and there was no indicator mirror option that year, will I have to run wires for some aftermarket mirrors? My mirrors are power-adjustable so they do have electricy running to them, I just don't know if it will power any added blinkers or not.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

at the very least you will have to run wires to the new mirrors to send the signal "message" to mirror.
  3. I looked into this with my '07 NBS. The GMT-900s are pre-wired for the turn signal as long as you have the heated / power mirror option. Your GMT-800 is not, as is the case with the 07' Silverado Classic. You will need to run signal wire from somewhere under the dash to power the lights. I had a buddy with an '03 that bought aftermarket turn arrows that just installed by double sided tape on to the mirror and had a wire you ran behind, through the door and into the dash. They looked like this: http://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-S8...m_auto_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=06NEYZ6XJZHTHR92RCM8
    I also saw on Amazon ones that went behind the glass for a more 'natural' look here: http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Unive...im_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G02FAQ10TATKYR54R7N
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Hell no on the tape-on arrows. :D

I do want to replace the whole mirror assembly as my adjustment motors don't work anymore either.

Do replacement mirrors with blinkers come with the proper wiring? I just need to find where to connect it under the dash?
  5. yea, I see a large number of the GMT-800s on the road with the "camper mirrors" that came as an option for the 900-NBS. Those have the LED lights, heated glass on the upper and power on the upper, with the lower glass being a convex. Here's the amazon one I'm aiming for: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H12SZ2...UTF8&colid=9HR90ZC5MSZK&coliid=I3SZI9AUQMZR26. It's a plug and play to my truck. The entire thing comes wired through the pigtail. You could splice in the housing just inside the door with wires ran from under the dash. I don't see one of the "standard" size aftermarkets with the LED light but I know they exist.
    and I agree with you on the stickers... that's the kid's solution and it looks tacky