1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Misfiring

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by KyleZ71, Nov 9, 2010.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

One day my father and I went to remove my shorty headers from my '03 Silverado. When we went to put them back on we believe we nicked the third spark plug on the driver's side. The truck did not register misfire (yet) but sounded off and lagged when I would get on it on the highway going back to college. I replaced the spark plug we believe I hit but when going to my AFROTC class the check engine light came on (flashing) aka misfire. The next day I replace that plug again, replaced the 4th plug on the driver's side and cleaned the 2nd plug on the driver's side. No problems until today when I opened it up a bit. I'm think maybe a hurt a wire from the constant on and off. If it happens again I'm think replace every plug on the driver's side and the wires too. My plugs are E3's and the wires are Beldon from NAPA. Anyone have any thoughts?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Your E3s are messing up, change them out for a good set of AC delco Platinums.
  3. KyleZ71

You think? In April is when we changed them to the E3's. My father put them in his '04 Tahoe. This would be our first issue with them. When I hooked my Diablosport Predator to it, it read "random misfire".
  4. murdog94

Yes, anyone that has run them in a vortec that i know has had the exact same problem with them. The Vortec motors like their AC delcos... We have had this happen on 3 trucks of your vintage this year.
  5. KyleZ71

6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

X2.....on what Murdog has mentioned about going with A/C Delco.....The Vortec engines Run and Perform Better went using A/C Plugs,

The A/C Delco Iridium plugs you are showing from Summit are the ones you want,the reason is......
    The Iridium Spark plugs are the latest evolution in high performance plugs.The natural properties of iridium, with a melting point of approximately 700 degrees Celsius higher than platinum, help enable the plug to burn fuel more efficiently and to deliver better.....and this is the reason G.M. started to go with the Iridium plugs over the Platinum plugs.

Edit:....I would add which every plug you go with.... Platinum or Iridium plugs.....That they are Already gaped right out of the Box...... Check the gap on them....but don't attempt to re-gap them.....as both tip's can be Easily Damaged.....

The Gap on the Platinum plugs is....0.60......and the Iridium plugs the gap is....0.40

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  7. murdog94

X2 on Iridiums.. I just forgot the name of them. Those are for sure what you want!!!
  8. KyleZ71

Ok Im gonna get 9 of them (1 in case) and was plannin to reuse my Beldin Max Power wires, but on Summit I saw MSD wires. Would it be worth switching or not? MSD has a good name but is it worth it?
  9. murdog94

NOt really, honestly your better off just using an OEM replacement. they are rated to take more than enough juice.
  10. KyleZ71

Change all today with the AC's. Ran for a bit but check engine light came on but was solid not flashing. Hooked the predator programmer to it and it read two codes this time.
    1) Random misfire
    2) Emission Levels are high
    Could this be a bad sensor?