missing part

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by L0sts0ul, Mar 15, 2007.

1. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys,

I just had my motor rebuild,, and the retard that did it lost a hose that goes from the driver side valve cover to the breather unit on top of the TBI.

help, I have to drive like 6 hours tomorrow, and I need that piece, I can't afford to get water or dust into my valve cover.

thanks in advance.

Soul

2. L0sts0ul

just found out... its the breather valve...where can I find one u think?
    \

3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

C'mon a little help, model, engine size, year maybe?

4. L0sts0ul

93 350 half ton 4x4

sorry

5. unplugged

Picture of mine

Here is a picture of the breather tube on my 93. If you are missing the part, it shouldn't be too hard to use a length of fuel line. Don't use heater hose, since it won't handle exposure to fuel vapors. Power steering hose would also be a suitable substitute.

Attached Files:

6. L0sts0ul

that is awesome, thanks,.

question though... what does that do? just equalize vacuum between valves, and tbi?

7. L0sts0ul

ok,

what do I do know, I can't get that part. could I just seal the hole left on the valve cover, and use a vacuum cap on the TBI side?

or is there something going on there that I Don't know about?

thanks for all your help in advance.

8. unplugged

It is a part of the emission control system. Your solution is a temporary one, but the crankcase vapors are routed to the intake through the tube.

9. L0sts0ul

I kinda figured, but we don't have emission laws/testing wher I live. Will doing this cause any kind of problems. I didn't think it would based on the fact that older carb unit didn't even have anything like this at all.

10. unplugged

Go green

FYI: You should ventilate the crankcase vapors. Either back to the engine to be reburned or out to the open atmosphere. The 'green' thing to do is go the closed system with a PCV. Open systems usually are trouble free but high mileage engines with a lot of blow by can puke oil on the engine.