1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mobil 1 Truck and SUV?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MWright936, Oct 7, 2008.

1. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and bought some Mobil 1 5W30. I bought a 5 qt. jug and another single quart. When I got home, I realized the 5 qt. jug says "Truck & SUV" across the bottom, and my single quart doesn't. Is this some variation of 5W30 or do they just put that on there for marketing purposes? I want to make sure I'm not putting different oil in there. Should I go back and swap it out for a jug that doesn't say Truck & SUV, or am I alright here?
  2. ftwken

ftwken New Member

:neutral:There is a difference in the two oils, here are the spec from Mobil One web site.....

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30

Newly formulated fully synthetic Mobil 1® Truck & SUV 5W-30 is engineered for hard-working gasoline engines. It contains extra anti-oxidant, which can provide greater protection against deposit formation in hard-working gasoline trucks, vans, SUVs and recreational vehicles. The new energy-conserving formulation meets the latest industry standards for gasoline engines.

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV's key benefits include:

Extra performance additive helps provide exceptional performance under all operating conditions, and additional protection for engines that operate under heavy load or stress, including towing, hauling and other severe service.

Unique fully synthetic formula helps reduce the formation of harmful engine deposits and sludge to keep engines cleaner longer.

Outstanding performance during the maximum oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual.

Approved for use and exceeds warranty requirements for gasoline, turbocharged and diesel engines in the following applications:

ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5-04

GM 6094M

Ford WSS-M2C929-A

MS-6395

Note: This product is not recommended for diesel engines. Use new Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 for diesel engines.

:rules:Here are the spec for the that is not made for Trucks and/or Suv...... :rules:

Mobil 1 5W-30

The Mobil 1 5W-30 grade delivers the viscosity recommended for most General Motors vehicles and many imports. Mobil 1 5W-30 is the first choice of premium car manufacturers, including Corvette. Mobil 1 5W-30 meets:

GM 6094M, GM 4718M (Corvette spec)
    Ford WSS-M2C929-A
    Honda HTO-06
    ACEA A1/B1
    ILSAC GF-4 (API Certified - Starburst)

Mobil 1 5W-30 is an ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving viscosity that provides excellent all season protection. This product also meets the requirements for diesel-powered vehicles where an API CF or CD oil is recommended.

Mobil 1 5W-30 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

Mobil 1 5W-30 is general purpose engine oil for all types of vehicles where a 5W-30 viscosity is recommended.

Mobil 1 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

As are all Mobil 1 products, it is designed to provide outstanding wear protection, maintain excellent engine cleanliness, and the performance reserve to keep engines in newer cars running smooth and clean.
  3. MWright936

Thanks for the info! I think that's weird, but I guess I'll go back and try to find a single quart of the truck & SUV stuff. Thanks again!
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good info!
  5. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

why are you using 5w?? (being in east texas)
  6. 08victoryredZ71

08victoryredZ71 New Member

Good info my tech told me the same exact thing about full synthetic for my 5.3
  7. MWright936

That's what it takes. I follow what the manual (and even the oil cap) tells me.
  8. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Great information, Ftwken. :great:
  9. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

mine says the same too but the 5w is more for colder temps. it dosent get cold enough down here so i use 10w
  10. ftwken

ftwken New Member

:info: What you say is true but GM say use 5w oil for the best performance.. I have a friend who has a 2006 dodge ram and his check engine light came on. After performing a diagnostic test on it,we found out that the last place that did an oil change on it use the wrong grade of oil and the vehicle detected it.. I dont remember the code that showed up but once we change the oil to what dodge says it should be the engine light never came back on..also if you have a ford taurus that use 5w20 and if you put in 10w30 or 5w30 you will lose about 3-5 miles per gallon :neutral:
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008