Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

---> mod bug inside <---

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Skarch, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys.

I recently inherited a 1997 1500 4x4 Suburban with the 5.7L engine.

I have been a VW guy for quite some time and wanted to see how the mods align/differ between the Turbo tinys and the Big brute.

OK, ina VW, mods usually go like this :Chip, xhaust, suspension, intake, bigger turbo.

my question is, in a Suburban, will the air intake/exhuast free up the fuel mileage like it does in the small car? My MPG went from 30-35 when I swapped out to a less restrictive exhuast in the GTI. If I could get 3-4 MPG out of the Suburban, that would be awesome.

Have you guys seen any improved mileage from aftermarket parts, or does it just give more power?

Also, while I am here.... What should I change immediately on a truck with 100K and dubious maintenance? Fuel Filter, Trans fluid, etc...?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Are you asking for budget reasons or did you have something else in mind? There are TONS of mods for the 5.7 Chevy, probably more than any other engine on the market to be honest, that's what it seems like at least.
  3. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

my question to you would be what is youe vehicle plan sheet look like? do not have one? make one. there is too many different ways to go and each will help a diffferent task. are you going to show? tow? cruse? or mall drive? just like your "Bug" you do not just toss money and expect good to happen. you need a build or plan sheet...........mike
  4. Skarch

Good point. Sorry, I left my mind reader turned off.....

My goal is to just have a daily drive that gets good mileage:)lol:) and is durable. My experience has been that letting it breathe easier lets in more power and mileage, but that may just be a turbo-specific issue. Basically, I won't make any performance mods that will sacrifice fuel effeciency, but usually with a (again VW) chip your mileage goes up a bit in just commuter traffic, the mileage sink is when you find those extra ponies living at the high altitude area in the tach.

I know the 350 is THE generic V8 with more parts options than you could ever imagine, and I like that about it, because it would make it cheaper to fix/upgrade in theory.

Another question, is a 97 OBD1 or OBD2? I have a VAG-COM for OBD2, and I think I can use it on GM cars as well if itsa OBD2.

Thanks for the quick replies.
  5. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site,

97 Suburban has OBDII but you can't read it with a VAG reader because VAG uses other software for OBDII :neutral:
  6. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

ok- with the plan you put above.....i say shorty headers, better flowing muffler (depending on the sound you like...Flow Master or Delt Flows) a K&N drop in replacement filter, a good tune-up, better coil and wires, a Tarus elec fan swap and a little taller tire and rim combo would wake her up nice..........and not hurt the pocket book too much......mike
  7. Skarch

Thanks for the responses guys. At least I know my OBDII port will work, now to comandeer some GM software:great:

So Michael, are you saying the chip isnt worth it? I should just do boltons.

If I swap exhaust, I won't want it much louder than stock, what do you guys recommend?
  8. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

obd 2 software

If you are interested in OBD2 software, you can go to www.PFYC.com and get an OBD2 kit that you can hook up to you laptop and do custom tuning if you like....

its pretty powerful too for the price, I used it on my 98 GTP for years and got great results from waht I learned