1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mod for external throttle control?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by SurrealOne, Dec 27, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm in need of a way to preset (and maintain) the RPM's at a fixed point somewhere between 1000-2000 while the truck is sitting still ... without being in the cab with my foot on the gas. I specifically want this for use when winching and/or when running the engine-driven air compressor.

I've looked for a throttle control mod and found the ETM-64 Electronic Throttle Controller (by InPower Direct), but I was hoping for a lower tech mod of some kind. Heck some kind of cruise control for idling would be stellar.

Has anyone tinkered on the 99-06's who can point me in the right direction?
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think you posted something similar to this a couple months ago. I think you can use the existing throttle cable and find a way to pull it back and lock it. My idea was more elaborate in the past thread I think. It shouldn't be hard to attach to the throttle control and just hold it in place.
  3. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Holding an elevated idle on the 2004 trucks would be difficult because they have electronic throttle bodies - no throttle cable to work with.

One thought would be to rig up a small electronic actuator that could push on the gas pedal. Use a momentary DPDT switch to control in/out and it will let you set your idle at whatever level you want. I would expect the brackets needed for that to be fairly simple to make - it would just need one to mount the actuator to the dash and some type of foot to ensure it reliably pushes the pedal without slipping. The biggest problem I see would be that the bracket to mount the actuator could be significantly more complex to make if your SLT has the power adjustable pedals.

Other than that, since GM only offers high idle programming on the Duramax, I think your only options would be to go with an aftermarket computer/electronic setup, or to figure out the accelerator pedal/throttle body wiring to see if they can be modified.

Based on the wiring diagrams, it looks like you could use a rheostat to apply voltage to the throttle body motor control wires, which would in turn increase your idle, but with all of the electronics in the throttle body and accelerator pedal (including A LOT of sensors) I'm pretty sure you'd end up with a check engine light if the throttle body position didn't match where it was supposed to be.
  4. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member 100 Posts

jam a stick between the seat and the pedal...
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thats about as low tech as it gets:lol: