Mod the 5.3 or Upgrade to 6.2?

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by Jeremy09LTZCrew, Mar 31, 2012.

?

Mod the 5.3 or Upgrade to the 6.2?

1. Mod the 5.3 From here on out

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Upgrade to the 6.2

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening GMTC Members,

So as you can tell from my signature, I'm compiling a rather lengthly list of things I want to do to my truck including modding the engine to a degree. My plan is to keep my truck and hand it down to my 7 and 4 year old when they're all licensed and legal to start driving. Therefore, I have no plans of getting rid of it anytime soon, if ever. That also means that whatever mods I do to it, I don't want to have a severely negatively impact longevity. As I began listing the things I want to do to the engine, intake, exhaust, etc.. I began thinking.... Should I mod the 5.3 or upgrade to the 6.2? I'm planning to have my current truck paid off in the next 2-3 months and I've considered upgrading when I get back in Country whether that be during my vacation in December or when I'm back for good in early 2013. I figure I could get a 2010 or so used Silverado/Sierra and could probably get a pretty decent deal since I'd be paying cash.

If it helps your decision at all, I'm hoping to buy a couple family offroad and water toys in the next year or two so I'll be doing some towing, but nothing that either engine couldn't handle. I really just want increased performance and capability. I also figured that if I get the 6.2, if I decided to still mod it, the mods would just add that much more. On the other hand, the 90 extra hp might stave off the desire to mod much for a while.

Therefore, my question is, given the parameters, would you go ahead and start modding the 5.3 for the long haul? Or would you upgrade to the 6.2 and use that as the base for the next 10-12 years?

As always, thank you for your inputs and opinions.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

3. Jeremy09LTZCrew

That's something else I forgot to mention. The 6.2 is flex fuel. So that's it, I want to be green. That's my motivation..... Yeah, I can't even convince myself of that. It's a thought though, although if I remember correctly, the E85 is inefficient as heck in those engines.
  4. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

I've got a small feeling that this thread (http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/88389-Modification-of-a-stock-lm7-block) will be compiling some information that you may be interested in. I'm planning on going a little more extreme than you are thinking of.. but with some of the mods, a simple change of actual parts decision could help you out, and seeing as how ls series engines are all compatible for the most part, should keep the longevity you desire from your pickup.

:sign0021:

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

also.. for what you're looking for.. cost AND manual labor(upgrading to 6.2) VS actual power differences(modded 5.3 to the stock 6.2) ..IMO.. putting a 6.2 doesn't even make sense.

..flex fuel = useless..
  5. Jeremy09LTZCrew

As a point of clarity, I wasn't going to do an engine swap, but rather trade my truck in for another. That being said, I've argued in favor of both inside my own head. Hence the poll. And thanks for the link.

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 AM ----------

You're right Rado, I am intrigued by that thread. I hadn't ventured into there yet. The biggest difference between you and I though is that I don't have the facilities, nor the ability as it currently stands, to do the work myself. That would be a large part to considering the cost. Indeed, I'd love to get those numbers from the 5.3 which would make going for the 6.2 a moot point. I'm just not sure which would be more cost effective if I'm having to pay for labor.
  6. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member

I can tell you from experience that a 6.2 is in no way shape or form a green engine. I get 10.5 mpg around town and 14 mpg on the highway. It doesn't matter how I drive it. If I drive it easy or hard its the same all the time. I even tried E85 and the fuel mileage was even worse. With fuel prices the way they are now, if your truck is a daily driver I would leave it stock. Unless you plan on drag racing or 4X4 competition you will never be able to use the power on public highways without breaking the law and jeapordizing the lives of others that are on the highway with you. Just my 2 cents
  7. Jeremy09LTZCrew

And there's the wisdom choice. Btw, I was kidding about the "green". No, I'd never drag race it. Offroading? Once I get the lift, suspension, etc.. I do plan to play with it. Not to a point I could say I needed 400+ hp with a straight face. Still, I know I'll do something at some point. Probably nothing major, but if I drive it for 10+ years, I'll run out of little things to do eventually.
  8. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

Ahhh.. I was mistaken by the 6.2 upgrade thing haha. The way I see it (although nobody really asked lol) seeing as how you are going to be paying off your pickup.. why trade it in, only to have yet another payment to uphold?

Taking into consideration your input as far as not having the facilities and being overseas (duh lol!).. rather than going to the extremes as I plan to, why not just do stuff that you can do yourself with a weekend, some hand tools, a torque wrench, and sending your ECU in to get tuned? Yourself you can bolt up a set of heads w/ valvetrain, cam, a higher flow intake, and put headers on it. Sending your ECU to get tuned to the company you purchase your cam from (which they will be more than glad to assist you in putting the correct cam for your power range/driveability desires in your hands and tuning the ECU if you provide them with the specs for your heads/intake) would take the longest out of all of these options. This would leave you with minimal (if any) machine shop needs if you are careful in which parts you purchase.

Now, doing this with the motor still in the truck is not impossible, but would be a pain probably as far as being able to torque the bolts you need to.

You are probably looking at around $4000 for top of the line performance, making the $4000 mark a little high in all actuality for what you're lookin to get.

$4,000 Vs $38,000 for a 6.2 with crap-for-mileage. (and there are companies out there who make cam/valvetrain sets that allow you to keep your 5.3's AFM)

:sign0021:
  9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

sounds to me like you might wanna trade out for a diesel. Or, get a truck with a 8.1. if i had to pick, id get the 6.2 and leave it alone, tearing into that 5.3 is going to effect long term reliability.

Alex
  10. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member

There's so many things you can do to the 327 i'd keep it build off of it and keep the originality, you'll appreciate it much more and so won't your kids. That's a hell of a father right there man thumbs up and good luck with whatever choices you make with the truck!
  11. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

"There's no REplacement for DISplacement"
  12. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Thanks, my boys are only 4 and 7 but they do love the truck now. I made a comment about trading it in for a new one once and my 7 year old said "but you said this was going to be mine." That stopped the conversation right there. And I'm sure some of their friends will have newer vehicles when they're in high school, but I think whatever they do end up with will still be one of the meanest.

And I agree with the displacement. Part of me wishes I'd just gotten the 6.2 when I got the truck, but I still love my truck. I'll figure it out sometime before I get back to get the work done.