GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Moisture accumulating in parking lamp

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by b-radical, Oct 3, 2012.

1. b-radical

b-radical New Member

On my truck the passenger side parking lamp is somehow getting moisture in there. I've had the truck for a long time and never had a problem with this before. I tried taking it off and submerging it in water to find the leak, but didn't find anything. After that, I added a layer of RTV silicone to the rubber gaskets that seal the bulb connector with the reflector housing and it still gets wet in there.

Any suggestions?
  2. Curky

Curky New Member

You pretty much did what I would do. Check all the seals. It might not leak under the water do to the pressure. All it has to be is a needle size hole for the moister to get in not necessarily a leak. If you plan on keeping the truck for years to come, It is a must fix otherwise a lot of components will rust (bigger problems). At this point I would take off again and reseal ALL the seals or buy a used one. Since everyone are buying LED’s you might be able to find cheap.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

4. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

I'm having the exact same issue on my truck but it's the driver's side parking lamp that has been collecting moisture. It has been collecting moisture almost since I got the truck (new in 2001) but it hasn't given me any problems apart from looking like crap. I'll look into it at some point.
  5. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

You can drill a small hole on the bottom of the housing and it will evaporate and not come back. Cheap fix and works every time!