Monroe Sensa Trac Coilovers and 1 ton of wood pellets.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by DSM1500, Nov 5, 2010.

1. DSM1500

DSM1500 New Member

Just thought I'd share the results of the Monroe Sensa Trac shocks with coilovers. I installed these for the purpose of hauling 1 ton of wood pellets in the bed of a 1/2 ton pick up. I picked these shocks up for $115 shipped. Install was very simple. I do not drive the truck as a daily driver so I was not too concerned with ride quality. However, with the install of these shocks the truck seemed to ride the same as before I installed them.
    Looks like fully loaded I have about 1" of space between the bump stop. Unfortunately I have no info on what the truck would look like with regular shocks. If anyone has pictures of a 1500 series truck with a ton in the bed I would be interested in seeing if these shocks made any difference.

The truck is a 2000 GMC Sierra Ext cab 2wd with 5.3 motor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

that looks like pretty good load support. didnt realize they started making coilovers for the rear. and 115 for the pair is a good price if they work well.

3. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

For all that weight the truck isn't squatting too bad. How did it act when you were driving? Did you feel it hitting bottom? The springs still appear to have some arch left so I think it is doing well for that investment.

4. DSM1500

DSM1500 New Member

I only had to go a few miles. I took it easy. It definitely was a rougher ride, not sure if it hit bottom. It does not look to have much travel left so I'm sure it probably did bottom out a few times.

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The next question is how it rides unloaded, pickups are already notorious for being rear end jumpy in a turn and hitting a bump, has it gotten worse with the coilovers. I have contemplated these for my suburban but not sure what it would do for the ride since it is a suburban and is carrying tiny children all the time.

6. DSM1500

DSM1500 New Member

I really didn't notice any major change in ride quality with these new shocks. It may be a little stiffer, but very minimal if that. Definitely not as stiff as a 2500 series truck. It still rides like a 1500. I was skeptical myself before I bought them, but Monroe offered a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If I was not satisfied I was going to take them off and switch them out with another model.

I'd read into the satisfaction guarantee, if they don't work well for your purpose you may be able to switch out for the non coil-over model.

7. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That doesn't look bad at all for carrying that much weight!! 115 bucks? Thats a pretty dang good deal if you ask me.

8. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Agreed, ive been looking into these to haul my Pick-up box camper since they are heavy and i dont have the ability to get a 3/4 or 1ton as of now, and i want the truck to sit fairly level, but i HATE overload springs.