1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Moog or Timken?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by kinson33, Jan 9, 2013.

1. kinson33

kinson33 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Replacing the front hub assemblies soon, I have used moog before with no issues but a shop here that I trust highly recommends timken. Haven't used them but have read good things so far. Anyone hve experience with timken on their gm?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was going to post the same question this afternoon! I have always used Timken and never had an issue. I used them on my 95 4x4 running 38.5" tires and they lasted. I also put them on my 02 2wd silverado with no issues. I have used moog chassis parts (ball joints, tie rod ends) and have never been disappointed. I have never used a moog hub assembly, I would be interested in others input also. With online discounts from a certain parts store I can get the moog considerably cheaper than a timken and pick it up at the local store. (around $115)
  3. kinson33

I just looked and found timken hubs for $105 from two different vendors. About the same price after my discounts for the moog parts
  4. Pikey

wow, that is cheap! I guess that I am still curious about others opinions on the moog hubs
  5. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

I personally haven't used the Moog unit bearings, but I can testify to the very high quality of their other suspension products. I guess it would come down to the price and availability for me.
  6. 2k8z71

2k8z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I used Timkin on my exploder and there were no issues. I have always heard good things about them so I just defaulted to them based on the great reviews. And with moog. I usually get their ball joints because they are some of the best in my opinion. And I like that you can get the ones with the zerk fitting so you can grease them yourself.
  7. Pikey

Get the moog part # and check amazon. They have mine for $85 with free shipping. The timken is $114 with free shipping. I will probably be buying the timken, I know that moog makes quality chassis parts, but have not used them for hubs
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  8. kinson33

Timken it is then, I like moog but it sounds like most have used timken for hubs.
  9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I bought 2 cheap hubs off ebay from A1autopoarts, they were for a 2001 Alero. Got both of them for $40.00, brand new off brand whatever. Going strong for 30,000+ miles, funny thing is I was in the Chevy dealer a few weeks ago and they got a UPS shipment in. Well guess what? They had 4 hubs sitting on the desk for customer cars, (Cobalt, Grand am) they were in the same box as mine and they had the A1autoparts shipping label on them. Dimes to dollars the dealer charged about $500.00 for those hubs, which they say are ACDELCO...

Anyways I buy what's the cheapest, used MOOG for driveshaft stuff. Won't buy Timken any more.
  10. kinson33

I hear ya, I took shortcuts a few times before though with previous trucks and it didn't turn out well.

- - - Updated - - -

I hear ya, I took shortcuts a few times before though with previous trucks and it didn't turn out well. I don't trust many mechanics which is why I always supply the parts and have even gone as far as marking parts in certain places to make sure they used them. Call me paranoid but I've heard enough horror stories with shops in my line of work but luckily have only been ripped off once.