Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

More Power - 5.3L 2003

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Scott_03silverado, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Scott_03silverado

Scott_03silverado New Member

I have been wanting more power out of my Silverado. So far I have exhaust (cat-back), FIPK intake system fro K&N, and Hypertech Max-Energy tuner but want more power. I was looking at a new MAF sensor but not sure if it will make that big or a difference. I know I could go and get Headers but I was thinking more along the lines of new heads and cam. Is it really worth it though. I really want around 425Hp / 425 tq on the ground...

Any thoughts or suggestions???

Thanks - Scott

2. paracutin

paracutin Rockstar 100 Posts

You need forced induction to hit those numbers.

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

this^^^^

A new MAF will not do a whole lot with your standard upgrades. Long tube headers will help more than shortys. All the things you listed will help some but to get the bigger numbers forced induction, tuning and a bigger build would be necessary.

4. Scott_03silverado

i was afraid of that / those answers.. Forced induction.. although i am a huge fan of boost not sure if i want to go that route at this time. got some thinking to do i reckon ;)

5. maxhend

maxhend New Member

Fascinating ​
    [​IMG]

6. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

These LS based motors are freaking awesome for bolt on performance. Yes, forced induction is going to get you there, but you don't necessarily NEED it to get the numbers you want.

We sell all kinds of heads and cams on our website (nightmare-breed.com) for these motors. For the most part, we've got some of the lowest prices you will find on them and Billy does an awesome job with in-house porting and polishing if you desire. Upgrading the MAF alone wouldn't do anything but confuse your truck without the proper tuning.

We do sell supercharger kits as well though, if that's more what you're wanting to lean towards. For the most part with our SC kit, you will need to change the heads out anyways, so that would be a great start to building the beast you're wanting. I would also HIGHLY suggest getting a set of headers with massive primaries. This will help with the breathing with or without forced induction and the lower rpm range will liven up in a hurry. Just make sure that they have bungs welded in them for wideband sensors (most companies these days have standardized this).

If you decide to get some price quotes from us, Billy will be the one to handle them through the website. Let him know that B.J. sent you from the forum and he'll cut an extra price break for you.

7. Scott_03silverado

[MENTION=53287]08_rado_rocker[/MENTION] im checking out the site now. on their custom pcm tunes how much more hp/tq than the hypertech max energy would it have over it or would they be very similar?

Thanks

8. 08_rado_rocker

[MENTION=63487]Scott_03silverado[/MENTION] For the most part, all of those "plug-n-play" pcm flash tuners do the same thing. We've bought, flashed, and pulled the tunes from a few of them to see what they actually do as far as tuning the computers. Really the only things they do are change the torque management settings to make the transmission shift at different pressures (which is where the stronger feeling shifts come from) and pull a little bit of timing during acceleration. There's really no way to give you an exact number as far as the hp/tq difference because every vehicle acts differently (different mods, etc.).

But with the pcm tunes we do, we use HP Tuners programming software and change timing curves, VE tables, optimize the fuel tables, etc all based on YOUR vehicle rather than a "cookie-cutter" flash tune used in every other vehicle on the road.

9. Scott_03silverado

cool, thanks for the info. Im going to do some thinking on changing out my hypertech with a PCM tune from ya'll. i'll be in touch :)

10. 08_rado_rocker

good deal! just give us a holler! Billy is pretty quick on responses through our contact system on the site usually