1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

More Power

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Landslide, May 28, 2012.

1. Landslide

Landslide New Member

I'm going to be installing a new trans in my 90 Burb soon and after that I would like to upgrade my ignition system, any suggestions on coils, wires, distributors and the like, I've seen quite a few different products, I have gotten great advice from you folks before and I'm sure someone out there has the right answer or at least a good suggestion.
  2. carmantx

carmantx Member

I use MSD products when possible, and have heard some good from Mallory. I never use Accel stuff.

If your wires are old, you will get the best improvement for the dollar with those. If your coil output is good, and your engine is stock, you will just be getting newer stuff if you replace distributor and coil. You could recurve your distributor to get the mechanical advance in quicker, and that would help it perform better.
  3. Strino78

Strino78 Member

My recommendation is a MSD Blaster Coil, a set of good 8mm wires, and a new distributor cap and rotor button. Throw in a set of new plugs, and you'll be all set. I wouldn't recommend a stand-alone ignition system like an MSD, Crane or Accel... unless you have a power plant under the hood that "really" needs the RPM Limit/Step controls the boxes offer; they don't show any improvements on a stock engine.