Motor dead :(

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Demick, May 4, 2009.

1. Demick

Demick New Member

So last month my oil pump went on me and i know have zero compression in one cylinder and a tick int he top end:fighting0072: She does almost have 300,000kms on her so its time for a change or rebuild. Now locally i can get EVERY part for the rebuild for $1600CAN. thats every part internally brand new. Then plus machine work and the time for me to put it back together.

Now locally there is a great machine shop that has a rebuilt 2000 5.7L motor. $2135CAN Plus my motor. Sounds like a chance for some more power. BUT what would i have to change to make it work? harness? ECU? Transmission gonna be good to hold the new power? I have Edelbrock headers for my 5.3, will they bolt up to the 5.7?

ALSO i just got a call back from a friend who has a 6.0L Gas for cheaper, low k's. What would that mean?

Thank in advance for all of your time and information

Matt Demick

2. Demick

Demick New Member

So i've looked around and it seems that i can use all of my stock sensors harness and trans with the 5.7. 6.0L i would want to upgrade the transmission. there are a few right ups of ppl swapping in a 6L inplace of there old 4.8's.

This is very encouraging. But would love some input from you guys. thanx

http://www.****************/forums/index.php?showtopic=38043 one site with info

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

First off what are you driving, and anything from a 4.8, 5.3 or 6.0 will not work on the 5.7. The 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 are a whole different line of motors from the 5.7. The motor swap however may work but from what I have read you need the computer from the 6.0 to replace the 5.7's.

4. Demick

Demick New Member

Sorry about that. I have a 5.3L in there right now. Sorry i got messed up there. i was tole the 6L would work because it uses the same tune as the 5.3

and i re read everything and your right the 5.7L is very different. wich sucks cuz thats the only guy who gotten back to me

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Motor dead

Check out GMs new crate 5.3 H.O.engine. It has 327hp and 347 lbs torque. A true bolt-in. Down here its not much more than a good rebuild and it has a 24 month/50,000 mile warranty. Its part # is 19165628.

6. Demick

Demick New Member

I found a 6.0L here at a locla shop i trust. it has 97,000kms on it and they only want $1000CAN for it. think thats what i'll go for. But hey i'll even call the dealer about that new 5.3

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I am not sure about the 6.0 into a 5.3, just not sure about the tranny differences

8. Demick

Demick New Member

Well swaped in the 6L last weekend! works awesome, bolted right in. changed nothing:happy: