Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Motor died on me while driving.....HELP

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by rdclark1, Jul 24, 2011.

1. rdclark1

rdclark1 New Member

98" Chevy Blazer 4wd...took for a ride about 10 to 20 miles down the road and then I hammered it, RPM was @ 4000 and I let off and the vehicle died! It would not start, no oil pressure, the next day I went out and it started with oil pressure @ 40. I heard a little tapping in front of the motor, then after 20 minutes @ idle the oil pressure went to Zero. I turned it off. Could the timing chain be causing this problem????

2. rdclark1

rdclark1 New Member

Bazer died on me.... HELP

98" Chevy Blazer 4wd
    I took for a ride about 20 to 30 miles and hammered it on a straight stretch with RPM @ 4000, I let off gas and it died on the spot and would not restart. No oil pressure, the next day went out and it started and had oil pressure @ 40 and I heard a little tapping in front of motor. Then after 20 mins @ idle the oil pressure went to 0... I turned it off. Could the timing chain be causing this problem???

3. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

The only thing the timing belt has to with oil pressure is to turn the cam which turns the distributor and that turns the oil pump. The oil pump is in the back of the motor. The tapping could have been the chain, but i believe it was probly your lifters. 40 psi is good at idle. i am assuming your oil level is good, if your truck is still running I can't think of why you have no pressure other than spun mains, broken (but it's running) distributor gear, clogged pump screen, or a bad pump. Hope someone can help.

4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Did you notice that the oil pressure dropped to 0 before it died that day out on the road? The fuel pump gets power from the oil pressure switch after your engine starts & is running, so you need to determine which happend first: 1. the low oil pressure? or 2. It died first from some other reason?