1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Motor ID

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jimmysierra, Feb 21, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. jimmysierra

jimmysierra New Member

Hi folks, I was hoping some one might be able to help me ID my motor. I picked up an '80 GMC Sierra 15 stepside to restore and it has a 6 cyl. eng. that is done. I got it running but just barely. So I have to replace/rebuild the motor and it's decision making time. The easiest thing to do might be to replace with a salvaged motor so I can keep it running while I'm restoring because changing out to a V8 means the entire drive line which is more than I can handle financially. Soooo, all things considered, how do I tell if I have a 250 ci or the 292 6 cyl.? I haven't been able to find the method to decode the vin yet, or whatever describes the make up of this vehicle.
  2. jimmysierra

jimmysierra New Member

Well, I found a site that gave me a clue. It looks like I'm sportin' a badass (oops! can I say that?) 250, but, no matter, my other cars are corvettes:great:.