motor id

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ryr28fan, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ryr28fan

ryr28fan New Member

I am looking at putting a Banks kit on my 2007 2500 with the duramax.How can i tell what motor i have in the truck.Also will this void any warranty i have on my truck

2. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

thats a real grey area any serious engine upgrades or mods the dealership kinda looks down apon .. I do know for a fact that the dealership sometimes will not work on any engines that have mods done when a warranty is in play ..

maybe someone else may be able to chime in with some info :)

3. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Is your 2007 a Classic body style, or new body style? Mine is a 2006 with the LBZ and the Classic 2007's should be the same and then they went to the LMM for the new body style. I am looking at upgrading my exhaust as well but only going with a 4" cat-back exhaust.
    Once my warranty is up I may go for a turbo-back or even a 5" exhaust depending how much I plan to upgrade my diesel.
    For now it will just be 4" cat-back exhaust, a cold air intake, and a mild programmer that I can reset to factory settings in-case of needed warranty work.
    Too extreme of mods will cause codes to be thrown and then it becomes your problem instead of a warranty issue.

4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

As far as the warranty is concerned, Federal Law protects the consumers right to add aftermarket parts. Gale Banks has a policy of educating dealerships who toss the "warranty voided due to customer mods."

Here is a Gale Banks quote from dieselstop.com

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  5. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Check your RPO code list, it should have the engine code there.

6. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Should be the 8 digit in the vin to identify the engine code. Checkout decodethis for a free vin decoder.