1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

motor swap - 350, 383

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by GMCZ71, Jun 20, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 New Member

i was gonna rebuild my '96 350 but was thinkin bout puttin in a 383. i was gonna buy headers for my 350. i was woundering if anyone has done this and what way i should go. any opions will be helpfull
  2. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 New Member

in other words i was wounderin if spending the extra money on the 383 was worth it or not
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Only if you are going to spend to money un an upgraded computer and upgrading the tranny so you dont tear it out. I have seen a few pwople who have done it on the non vortec motors and yes they had more power.
  4. rodny26

rodny26 New Member

I'm actually shopping for an engine for my 96 also and was considering the 383 also. Can you give more details about the computer upgrade; like what's the price and where would I purchase it from and what would have to be done to the tranny also. If it's gonna be more than about $500.00 to $1000.00 then I'm not going to do it. Let me know something, please.
  5. murdog94

I think a 383 Stroker long block runs at least $2500.. And the tranny would hold up for a while but you would want stronger parts in it to take the high power output. The computer would most likely need a custom tune.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

if you get the GMPP 383E the computer will not need upgrading as it will adapt to it(you could just get a custom tune from blackbearperformance $400), but even though GM designed the 383E to directly replace the 5.7 vortec the 383 puts the tranny at its limits. i would get a 4L80E tranny and get a shift kit put in it at the very least. then you could really open up the crate 383 with a cam and headers
  7. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 New Member

thats alot more work then i want to do, but what if i bored out my 5.7 to a 355? would the 4L60 hold up to that?
  8. murdog94

Yeah since with the factory EFI etc, you really arent exceeding much beyond what the 5.7L vortec had to begin with. I have seen the 4L60E handle 300HP with out any major drama. And a good set of headers and bored out a bit it will still be under that number.
  9. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 New Member

my only fear is that my tranny has 221k miles on it, but by the sounds i shouldn't have a problem. my step-father said i'd gain about 100hp if i bored it out, is that bout rite?