1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

motor swap

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by heavy chevy, Jun 29, 2010.

1. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member 100 Posts

well guys i know it has been a while since i have been on but heck i have been in kuwait. gimme a break.

I have a 08 sbrc silverado with a 4.8 I just orders a tbss torquer cam from speed inc. and a 2600 yank stall and the hdII SHIFT KIT and some edelbrock headers for my truck. Well i wasnt gonna swap the motor out but then i found a 02 ls15.7 complete motor with aluminum block minus cpu and harness for 1200 bucks so i bought it. I also am gettina a new cai with the ram air hood that is on the way. and i am puttin a 3-6 drop on it.

Ok here are the questions:

1. Will all the parts i just orderd work on the ls1 or am i gonna have to buy ls1 specific parts..
    2. will my computer and harnesses work on the ls1 or will I have to get a different one.
    3. will i have to do any modifications for the motor to fit.
    4. I am also hooking my spray back onto this motor. will i be able to safley spray 125 on this application. I am gonna use my heads off the 4.8 and my intake if they will work I have the good heads already so i think they will work.
    5. Last question what kind of power and track times do you think this application and set up will give me.?
    Please please i need to know something within the next week cause im gonna start the project. Also i orders new billet for the front main and lower grills and i got a new ss roll pan for the back and Im prolly gonna get a BORLA exhaust later this week.

Truck is also getting some new wheels and ANGEL eyes hid tinted front headlights and the led tinted tail lights. Interior is getting custom cat skin leather A new double din head unit And A single 12 sony sub with amp and remote start and security system. Tail gate wing.

And im trying to talk my buddie into a new paint job Im thinking about Silver on top and the same color from the fenders down just a thought please let me know guys. Im still here in kuwait and im due to be home in about 2-3 weeks and i will only have 3 weeks to get it done.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
  2. heavy chevy

ok well no help guys
  3. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It's been 3 hours, and it's during the day, most people are at work. Give it time, not everyone lives on this website, and it's not like we have a spider sense, "oh no someone on GMTruckClub needs my advice! I gotta rush home to answer!" Gotta have patients, i personally am at home sick, so i'll answer. And i do think the cam shaft will work, because you can take cams from z06's and put them in 5.3ls, i do not know if it will be beneficial to put the cam in the engine though. And headers wise, it will be trial and error, to see if they line up or not. There may be clearance issues. The ram air hood will work, but you may need to modify the CAI if it doesn't line up. Electrical is out of my league, so i cannot answer that for you. And if you are using the spray on your heads, and you're putting them on the LS1, then most likely it will work. LS1's are small blocks, i do not believe you will need to switch around the motor mounts.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

:sign0018:- Actually it was 1 AM until 4 PM. So that was 15 hours. -- Just a side point.

Sorry, I looked at the long brick of letters with no paragraph breaks and my eyes glazed over. Let me look again and I might break it into two or three sections.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

I broke down your first post to make it easier to scan. Sadly, I am not an expert on any of these issues so I'll let others with more experience answer the question.
  5. heavy chevy

thank you it looks better
  6. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member 100 Posts

from everything I'm seeing, you should be good to go. Both are Gen IV blocks, so everything *should* be interchangeable.
  7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i found a 02 ls15.7 complete motor with aluminum block minus cpu and harness for 1200 bucks so i bought it. I also am gettina a new cai with the ram air hood that is on the way. and i am puttin a 3-6 drop on it.

.Were some Corvette and maybe Camaro motors of that time 5.7? I kinda expected to see 5.3 lt-the 5.7 threw me.